What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Why are they all rusty? - bbroomlea{P}
We have (or had) decided on a Puma as a replacement car for SWMBO to use for work as the current Rover 214 is getting on a bit being 11 and done 130K (reliable so far) miles.

Puma looks like a good choice mechanically but despite looking at more than 15 over the last week or so, I cannot find one thats not badly rusting.

Seems the rear wheel arches are the worst but also the sills, front wings, bottom of doors etc and also weak points on nearly every one I have seen. We have been looking at X/Y/51/02 plate ones so not that old and from what I have seen some will be scrap in a couple of years.

Am I expecting too much as I dont think I should buy something thats rusty so young but it is looking like we find something else at this rate?

Such a shame that Ford didnt bother to think that the cars might be around after their anti-corrosion warranty ran out and built them properly in the first place because other than the corrosion they seem good reliable fun cars!
Why are they all rusty? - madf
Ford paintwork is shoddy. And plastic wheel liners fit badly...

Most of the Pumas I looked at for oldest son were as you described.

And of course it is based on a Mk4 Fiesta floorpan.. not the best rustproofed design.
Why are they all rusty? - DP
Can't say I've ever noticed poor paint quality on a Ford, but I agree the rustproofing on the mkIV / MkV Fiestas left a lot to be desired.

Cheers
DP
Why are they all rusty? - jc2
People are not selling the good ones!
Why are they all rusty? - b308
What was the paintwork guarantee on Fords of that age? Could they still get repainted under warranty?
Why are they all rusty? - jc2
Only guaranteed for internal rust,not external.
Why are they all rusty? - doctorchris
Does the Puma have that carpet-like material lining the rear wheel arches? We had a Fiesta with that and it trapped all the dirt etc off the road, especially depositing it on the inner edge of the arches. Regular pressure washing produced piles of muck on the drive but kept the car free of rust. However, many folk, if they wash their cars at all, don't bother with underside.
Why are they all rusty? - Marc
A Y plate Focus I had also had the textile lining on the arches. Possibly just the rears IIRC. I thought it was a daft idea and used to give it a good hose down when washing the car. Just a dirty moisture trap.
Why are they all rusty? - Pugugly
Yes Pumas had these liners. My Sis' car was a much loved and pampered (5k oil changes from new to 50k and seven years old) on the day she sold it (buying Mrs P's never washed 01 MINI) I found rust on the rear wheel arch - incredible. The MINI seven years on is immaculately turned out these days, not a rust spot anywhere.
Why are they all rusty? - Harleyman
I really thought Ford had got to grips with their "rotbox" image, but this thread and many older Ka's I've seen recently give the lie to it.

I actually considered the Puma before buying my Hyundai, the two or three I viewed all had superficial rust and the paint finish was nothing special.
I have viewed 2 more today and both the same - a 00 X had a hole in the sill at the back - couldnt believe it!

I assume the only way to repair the rotting wheel arches would be to weld new metal in as it looks like its inside out corrosion and not surface. Is it worth doing or shall we go for something else?

I really hadnt expected to be worrying about rust on 6-7 year old cars! The Rover its replacing is rust free and considerably older and travelled much further!

Its actually putting me off buying but the missus is smitten by them - I certainly wont be buying a Ford of any age until they start galvanising!
Why are they all rusty? - MVP
My nan has a 12 year old Corsa that sits outside all the time - not a spot of rust anywhere.
Why are they all rusty? - Marc
"My nan has a 12 year old Corsa that sits outside all the time - not a spot of rust anywhere."

Why not go for a Tigra instead - same segment.
I've suggested a Tigra but she doesnt like them! Will have to keep hunting for a rot free Puma if there is such a thing!
Why are they all rusty? - Pugugly
Try the Pumapeople website, their classifieds are pretty good, and they are enthusiasts.
I know where one is coming up for sale. It belongs to a friend, but I haven't in all honesty had a good look around it since she first bought it (happy to do so if you want me to in the first instance).

It's a W reg 1.7 in red, think the mileage is about 80k. She's had it regularly serviced at a trusted indie, and I know it's had a timing belt recently. I also know it hasn't been pranged since she's had it either. She's only selling it because her commute has suddenly quadrupled in length and she's going diesel.

No idea on price, or even if its sold already, but happy to make some enquiries for you. They're near Reading, Berks.

Just let me know if you're interested and I can put you in touch. As I say, no promises yet, but am happy to check for rot for you in the first instance to save you a wasted trip.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 13/05/2008 at 17:01

I have some details

2000W 1.7 in red, 59,000 miles (lower than I thought), full service history (some Ford, some indie), with cambelt done at last service, due a service and MOT which will be done for the sale, I'm told it has no rust at all, and is in good all round condition (she's a non-smoker, as is her other half)

£3k ono

I have not seen this car for many months so this is only what I've been told.

Cheers
DP
Thanks for doing the research DP but its a bit far from the north east and I think we have almost decided to ditch the Puma idea as even if we get a good one now, its not likely going to stand up too well in 3 years time.