What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
08 2.0 diesel engine problems - Dunwerkin
Hi All,

Oh dear - I was just about to buy a new 2.0D Mazda 6!!!!!!!!!!

After reading Vols 1 and 2 threads (same problem as TDCi etc.) I am reconsidering the option.

The above threads seem to ask questions about the similarity with Fords TDCi units which never quite get a definitive answer. Are they the same design or not? I always thought they were different but there are people on the Forum who will know, I assume.

I also note that the New 6 diesel engine is designated M-TDi. I seem to remember a different set of letters when I looked at the previous Mazda 6 a couple of years or so ago. Is it a new engine, or have they just rearranged the letters to look that way? Is it likely that the earlier problems have been sorted?

I am looking for longevity with this purchase and it does concern me that people like "Screwloose" (who obviously has a lot of experience in this matter) advise "avoiding the Mazda diesel like the plague!!!!"

I had never heard of any widespread problems with the engine before or my current Ford TDCi

Any suggestions for a trouble free diesel.

Edited by Webmaster on 04/05/2008 at 16:37

08 2.0 Mazda 6 diesel engine problems - smokescreen
"Any suggestions for a trouble free diesel."

They can be reliable, its just when the bad ones go bad, you'll wish you had a petrol! Its an inherant (sic) risk of modern diesels, unfortunately, and one you will need to decide whether its worth it.