What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Crumbs! The latest Honda problem. - henry k
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/7353248.stm

Twix may cause problems. But you can go to work on a Mars. ;-)
Crumbs! The latest Honda problem. - Pendlebury
Stuff like that is nothing new.
I suspect it's because the biscuit base conatins grease and can get onto the cars.
There are plenty of car factories that have banned stuff like hair gel in the past and all car factories ban watches and rings - or offer protective bands to cover them up.
The other thing that gets banned is the silicon charity bands that people wear on their wrists - the silicon can cause problems in paint shops and is harmful to certain metals etc.
I should also add that this is another half told story where they have not even tried to properly explain why Honda have done it - when there will be a legitimate reason.
The union needs to show some leadership as well instead of responding in a manner that resembles a spoilt child that has just had it's sweets taken away.
Honda are trying to protect the product and sales - and the union oppose this - and why have we no manufacturing jobs in the UK ?
Crumbs! The latest Honda problem. - oilrag
Uncomfortable though, that the workers food intake seems to be restricted and allegedly secondary to the product.

I think my mates father who was a `guest` of Japanese culture a long time ago would have had some thoughts about that.

What`s wrong with `wash your hands` signs in the food area?

What`s wrong with `wash your hands` signs in the food area?

That's maybe why they are now having to ban these food stuffs - because people would not wash their hands after they had eaten.

I applaud any company that goes to these lengths to ensure that we can buy the best possible quality they can produce.
All the better for us at the end of the day.
It's us lot that would be the first to start criticising the sub standard paint finish on a new car.

8< Snip!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/04/2008 at 21:29

Crumbs! The latest Honda problem. - Number_Cruncher
For some of the work we do in clean rooms, you aren't supposed to eat curries or garlic laden food the night before!

I can't believe that the unions are complaining - it sounds like the management are trying to protect both quality and sales, and hence provide a stable future for the plant.

Crumbs! The latest Honda problem. - thomp1983
i think the biggest problem they've got is the amount of people they've just laid off due to poor sales of the new civic, all the temp staff have gone and one whole shift.

chris
That is common in the uk car industry at the moment unfortunatley - I know Toyota have done the same in Burnaston. It's how they ensure they never lay off any permanent staff - the temps are there as a cushion.
Crumbs! The latest Honda problem. - thomp1983
actually it's quite rare at honda, but it's not just the temps who've got quite a few permenant staff too. basically plant 2 which solely makes civics runs 2 shifts, one early, one late on rotation, they've now got rid of one whole shift from what my mate was saying, it's a right cock up by them as plant 2 used to be solely a day shift when i was there but they pushed it to 2 shift last year and it doesn't appear to be working out. they also seem to suffering with part supply issues.

chris
Crumbs! The latest Honda problem. - qxman {p}
I would have thought that there would be plenty of grease about in a car factory, such that the amount in a chocolate bar would not be worth worrying about. Presumably the problem could be solved by supply of cotton or latex gloves, as appropriate.
Crumbs! The latest Honda problem. - Dynamic Dave
I don't know if the following link will shed more light on the matter? Seems to go into more detail.

tinyurl.com/67hn65 {link to www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk}

Crumbs! The latest Honda problem. - Manatee
Hadn't heard that sales of the new Civic were poor - Mrs M loves her 2002 Civic but won't touch the new one - whatever the measurements, it feels much less spacious than its predecessor. I'm not arguing with her - it's deuced expensive as well.

Classic re-positioning error - target new market segments, fail, and alienate the existing buyers at the same time.
Crumbs! The latest Honda problem. - bathtub tom
SWMBO and I were having a pub lunch. We both watched a 'gentleman' leaving the lavatory doing up his fly.

SWMBO said: "That's why you don't eat peanuts off the bar".
Crumbs! The latest Honda problem. - Morris Ox
At last, an explanation for the poor ride that has afflicted so many Type Rs: they've been fitting Wagon Wheels...

Edited by Morris Ox on 19/04/2008 at 22:17

Crumbs! The latest Honda problem. - gmac
Come to think of it, the car factory I'm currently working in only allows Mars and Snickers in the vending machines. The other "treats" are cake based.
Jeans are a no no on the assembly line (as expected).
Crumbs! The latest Honda problem. - Pugugly
I wonder what rules they have at the Fabia factory ?
I wonder what rules they have at the Fabia factory ?

I'm surprised you ask. It's cake and jelly isn't it ? On the Fabia line anyway...Superbs obviously have an extra bit of black forest gateaux for extra measure.
Come to think of it the car factory I'm currently working in only allows Mars
and Snickers in the vending machines.

Having said that...if grease was a problem then they would not have those greasy BIFFI Jack Russels do dah in the vending machines if grease was a problem...

Hmmph !

Edited by Pugugly on 20/04/2008 at 00:05

eh ?
I think they are called Peperami in the UK. Those horrible garlicy, sausage efforts

Edited by gmac on 20/04/2008 at 00:01

Ah - I had a mental image which has been somewhat confirmed.
Sorry couldn't find the words to describe in English...
Crumbs! The latest Honda problem. - frazerjp
I can understand not allowing greasy food inside the site, you wdn't want grease all over your brand new Civic as well as scratch marks made by the crumbs.
But not allowing bottled water within the area sounds a bit OTT, but as long as the workers performance arn't distracted then why should it be a problem?