What`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - oilrag
A two point question regarding breakdowns.

1) When did you last breakdown (by the roadside) and how did you get out of it?

2) what`s your current plan to minimise risk the of being stranded by a breakdown?

some comment,

I guess I can`t have been alone in days gone by, scorning breakdown services and carrying a massive tool box, spare clutch cable, fuel pump and many other parts that were deemed `a risk`.
Then time moves on, the big tool box now out of the car and an AA card carried. That seems a great deal in particular if swapping every year to get a new customer discount.

But has anyone done a risk assessment on their current car? the outcome perhaps being a relatively cheap part or two carried, that could then be made available to the breakdown service if a weekend breakdown occurs.

(I`m thinking of France for example)

Regards

Edited by Pugugly on 11/04/2008 at 22:34

what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - normd2
1 - yesterday (see smokin' Rover) - cut off the drive belt and drove home.

2 - sometimes the problem can't be foreseen nor prevented by maintenance (when did you last have a siezed alternator?) My 'massive tool box' has been replaced by an RAC card.
what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - oilrag
Yes I agree, about the unforseen. But (for example) the wiper linkages are an alleged weak spot on Mk2 Punto`s. I`m carrying a spare set of wipex linkages that take up almost no space, but could otherwise leave me stranded in France as the Wiper Motor unit is different for left hand drive.
I know, that at some point, they will be fitted anyway, so no extra expense in the long run.

I`m thinking of known, model specific vulnerabilities really.

Regards

Edited by oilrag on 11/04/2008 at 13:20

what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - Big Bad Dave
Carry a fairly substantial toolbox and spare coils. Electric tyre pump, jump leads, bulbs etc. Well you do when you drive a 7 year old Peugeot.
what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - mike hannon
I carry spare bulbs, most of which are specific to the Prelude and jump leads cos it's auto. The rest I leave to the very cheap comprehensive breakdown cover included in the car insurance that was excellent the only time I've needed it so far.
You have to have some sort of cover if you drive a Honda in France, even though you may not need it often, because the average response from a French mechanic is one look and the advice to take it to Honda. I guess they prefer to spend their time tinkering with canbus electronics and particle filters...
what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - Optimist
Last summer the engine died and the engine management light came on. Car wouldn't re-start. Lifeted onto truck and taken into dealer who diagnosed sensor failure on cam something or other. Replaced. Car went.

Nothing I could have done and I can't remember the last time before that I was stuck at the side of the road. But thinking about this: I used to carry a gallon of water in a plastic can becaquse the car I then owned had a leaking radiator. I might start doing that again. If nothing else I cold top up the washer bottle when it ran out on a grisly day.
what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - commerdriver
Depends on the vehicle - on modern cars spare bulbs is about all you can try to anticipate you carry a breakdown card for the rest.
Commer is done how cars used to be bulbs, water, hose bandage, fanbelt, fuses and radiator cap plus the ubiquitous gaffer tape, insulating tape, cable ties, wire etc. to bodge up anything that can't be repaired properly
what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - Falkirk Bairn
I changed to 2 x Japanese cars (reliable hopefully as they have been in the last 13 years), Jump leads + some bulbs and as insurance I have GreenFlag Cover to get me home in the event of a problem.

In 44 yrs driving I have been towed home twice
1 x Ford Cortina with electrical problems and 1 x C Class with a failed fuel pump.

Punctures is another matter however - picked up a nail last week - 6th puncture in just over 2 years - and no I do not live on a building site or spend my life circling round B&Q's car park
what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - Dyane 6 Mehari
A full set of bulbs, jump leads, warning triangle, vest, basic electrical tool kit - and Full RAC Europe cover with "get you home if it can't be fixed" gubbins.

My travel insurance also has some kind of fly you home if you car is nicked / burnt out / washed away by mis-timed drive over causeway type cover.
what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - madf
Driving a Toyota, jump leads for other motorists. Used to start cars where owner has left lights on.

Nothing else .
what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - Mapmaker
Some cars there's no point in even carrying spare bulbs, as changing them can be a main dealer job.
what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - Happy Blue!
I carry water and jump leads. I drive Japanese or Korean cars to avoid problems and have an AA card.

Last broke down with a rattling Saab 9000 LPTurbo in 1998. Called AA who gave me a spanner and I fixed said rattling turbo. Never needed them since although always make sure it is in the car when I drive to the airport for a holiday!

Haven't driven overseas in a UK car since 1999 and don't intend to start for several years until the kids have grown up and don't get bored on long journeys. And no, I won't have an in car DVD player!
what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - Tron
Car is serviced regular and I check it over, tyres, fluids etc., three or four times a week for other (leaks etc.,) obvious stuff too.

So I hope mine is low! But never say never though eh?!

As back up, within vehicle are: 2 x large tyre aerosol inflator cans, disposable gloves, and Day-Glo reflective vest. I carry two large tins of inflator stuff because my car is LPG converted and sometimes (depends how many people are within) has no spare on board. Overalls in case I am in good clothes and don't want to get grimed or ruined.

Other than my AA card the car also has within: WD40, tow rope, jump leads, spare bulbs, fuses, usual safety stuff (reflective triangle, wind up torch etc.,) and I always have my mobile with me.

If going on long drives (say to Ireland or Scotland) or very longer (Europe) a 'condensed' tool kit and consumables such as oil, water, undiluted screen wash and coolant, sparkplugs, wipers to name a few, gets taken too. More from the difficulty of locating replacements or the cost of buying such items whilst away from home than hopefully ever needing them.
what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - doctorchris
I carry no tools or spares other than a set of bulbs. Fortunately, bulb replacement on the new Panda is easy to do.
I have breakdown insurance through Boncaster at £35 for my wife and myself.
I'm rather obsessional about vehicle maintenance and servicing which pays dividends when it comes to breakdowns.
I've not had to call on the breakdown services myself since 1981, for a motorcycle puncture, not gloating, just lucky I guess.
what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - Pendlebury
I'm with madf (I hope I am not tempting fate with this one oilrag - I shall come knocking if I subsequently have a problem - he say's touching wood).
I do renew the Toyota club memebership which is £59 for the full works - managed by the RAC I think but I do not put any spares in the car.
The Honda is not quite 3 years old so still covered by breakdown cover.

When I had VW's I used to budget for repair work as part of owning one but now I don't bother as my expectation is that they will just keep going on the basis I do look after them and only use OEM parts etc.

I have family and friends that have owned Toyotas and Hondas for 10-15 years and the only fault I have been told about is a brake bulb on a Carina in 14 years (15 now in fact) of ownership. MOT's pass first time - every time - This is not one of those "I have had no problems except the clutch, wheel bearings and steering rack so consider them to be very reliable" posts.

I think as the posts above say really - it's really down to your confidence in the brand and the engineering integrity/durability of the car. I know they are not indestructible but Toyota and Honda do tend to engineer their cars for the long term.
what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - movilogo
I only keep following items - 1L of water, 1L of engine oil, 1L of windscreen washer, one multipurpose screw driver (have a full size spare wheel also).

Also carry a spare key and air compressor when going for long drive.

I'm totally inept in any sort of repair - so don't consider carrying anything else.

My present car is still under warranty so covered by manufacturer's (Suzuki) recovery service.

Last year, my earlier car's (now sold) engine gave up 12 miles from home. A generous chap towed my car to dealership nearby. Dealer said engine replacement necessary. RAC refused to tow me to home as I was already "in place of repair". Finally, get it lifted by a recovery truck from a local garage.
what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - Group B
1. Last summer got back from a weeks holiday to find car would not start (at East Midlands airport) due to a dodgy battery plus the Saab TiD spillback pipes air-leak issue. So had to call the AA. (Got a new battery now).

2. I carry a few tools, bodge-fix items (gaffer tape, garden tying wire etc.), spare bulbs, a tyre pump, a 2ltr bottle of water, 1ltr of oil. Will attempt a few things at the roadside but not much.

Re: "model specific vulnerabilities". I don't know of particular issues on mine that can be guarded against by carrying a cheap spare part.
The spillback pipes issue affects the car after being stood long term, but not day-to-day or during a journey (and I cant be bothered to get it fixed; don't think it will happen again with a new battery). Just needs extra cranking to draw fuel from the tank.

AFAIK most problems are either limp-home-able (within reason, not from France!); or they are catastrophic and can't be guarded against, eg. failed diesel injection pump, turbo failure, etc.!

Edited by Rich 9-3 on 11/04/2008 at 17:12

what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - madf
I shoul mention I carry mechanics synthetic rubber gloves: used once to fill a lady's VW 2.0TDI Golf with oil: it had done 12k miles from new, oil never checked and when oil level warning light came on, oil was below minimum level on dipstick

I also carry: McDonalds' paper towels and sealed hand wipes. Both available foc with a meal and ideal for dirty jobs like checking the oil level. (The Yaris has a full engine undertray so engine keeps cleaner than the body!)

Edited by madf on 11/04/2008 at 17:40

what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - L'escargot
The only time I've had a car break down was in about 1969. After visiting a friend it wouldn't start. I cured it, more by luck than judgement, by removing and refitting the damper piston of the Stromberg carburettor ~ this freed off the carburettor needle which had stuck in the open position when I had switched off the engine. It never happened again. I'm in the AA but I just view it in the same way as I view any other insurance ~ I expect never to have to claim on it.
what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - Hamsafar
I have a plastic box in the boot, with spare old shoes, jeans and shirt, tow-rope, jump leads, hi-vis vest and tyre inflator. I also have disposable gloves in case of a breakdown, wheel change or having to attend to an injured person.
what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - David Horn
1) Never
2) RAC breakdown cover. I generally have a hi-vis vest in my bag anyway, so I'd just wait it out on the hard shoulder. Let the RAC man get squished changing my wheel.
what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - Manatee
Broke down a couple of times in my banger days - broken rocker shaft on a Fiat 850 Special (twice), since then once - a broken throttle cable on an Audi 80 in about 1993.

I carry a tyre pump, decent wheel changing tackle and that's about it apart from warm / waterproof clothing.

The Audi broke down on the M1 around Luton. There was a police 'sit up' so I pulled off the hard shoulder on to that. A patrol stopped, asked if I was being recovered (yes), then told me I shouldn't park there. I apologised and explained that I thought it was safer for me and the other traffic - they agreed and let me wait there, full marks for common sense.

what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - Alby Back
I always have breakdown cover these days both in the UK and when abroad. Lesson learned like this ---

About ten years ago my wife and I were sitting at Dover docks waiting for a ferry to take us to Calais at the beginning of our then regular summer jaunt around France and Spain in the "trusty" Westfield. Equipped with its simple Ford X-flow engine it never seemed to need more than a socket set and a bit of common sense to fettle it when required. SWMBO ( mostly ) asked me if I had bought European breakdown cover, to which I haughtily replied that it was a waste of money as there was almost nothing that I could not fix myself on the car and anyway even if I did have a bigger problem, any mechanic could sort an X-flow cheaply and quickly. Waste of money says I.

She nevertheless decided to ignore this and phoned through to the AA for cover at a cost of about £80 I think. Scroll on to a couple of weeks later and we are in Avignon with a very poorly Westie with a busted exhaust manifold which could not be repaired and would have to be custom made due to the unique exhaust set up. The AA stepped in and shipped the car back to our home while providing us with a hire car for the remaining ten days of our holiday. Subsequent checking revealed that to have done this ourselves may have cost upwards of £2000.

My wife has only recently stopped mentioning this. :-(
what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - PoloGirl
1) When did you last breakdown (by the roadside) and how did you get out of it?

Not since my dodgy FIAT Uno in 1998, which used to flood itself thanks to an erratic ECU. To be honest I used to just phone my dad! But, being the son he never had, he taught me well and I can recognise a whole host of issues with cars, and know what should be done to fix them. It would be rare for me to do it myself though, apart from a puncture, unless it was in a bad location, in which case I'd call for someone braver than me.

I used to lock my keys in Polo all the time, so much so that in the end the RAC man showed me how to break in myself. S*d's law I never did it again after that!

2) what`s your current plan to minimise risk the of being stranded by a breakdown?
I drive a car that's less than two years old with full maintainance in the lease. The car has VW assist for another year, and then the lease company have a contract with one of the breakdown people. I'm actually also still on my dad's family RAC cover because it costs nothing to have me on there.

My dad has provided both my sister and I with a little kit in case we get stranded - wind up torch, hi vis vest, supply of cereal bars/kit kats, hand warmer etc, all in a tiny bag that lives in my boot. I love my dad. :) Oh and the car came with a warning triangle, but knowing my accident prone tendencies, I'd get run over putting it out!

Edited by PoloGirl on 11/04/2008 at 21:09

what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - piggy
On modern cars I think more milage (pun intended)can be gained by regular under-bonnet checks of condition of rubber tubing,belts,fluid levels etc.
Having said that,I do carry a torch,12v tester and a selection of tools,plus of course membership card to a rescue service.
The last breakdown I had was some 14 years ago when the rotor(remember them?) came loose on the drive shaft.I managed to get going again with a piece of paper wedged on the shaft.

what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - zookeeper
i always carry a green plastic petrol can empty, its better than sticking your thumb out and waiting for a lift these days , but i do carry an assortment of jubilee clips, 10 - 22 mm sockets , flat and phillips screw drivers ... a pint or two of oil and a 2ltr bottle of still water (17p) from tesco.... a bundle of thick wire , pliers , and a crow bar...oh and a tool for prying small boy scouts from horses hooves , and a swiss army pen knife
what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - gordonbennet
I used to carry a reasonable assortment of likely suspects, and still keep the old fan belt in the spare wheel.

Apart from that, a good heavy maglite (just in case), and not much else any more as the days of tracking down the loose wire or pitted points are long gone.

I'm with 'autohome' instead of the more usual, supporting local etc.

And i no longer carry jump leads, as the risk to all this confounded electronic trickery is too much now, and if i don't have them i can't ruin someone else's car for them.
Point in case...my friend jump started someone off his laguna with digital dashboard, that was no longer digi when he'd finished, cost him 600 smackers about 7 or so years ago.

I'm obsessive with maintenance as well so hopefully thats some sort of risk lessener (is that a word). Hilux has done over 5K now, will be doing second oil change soon.

Couldn't afford the breakdown service years ago anyway.

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/04/2008 at 23:55

what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - DP
SWMBO and I have joint RAC membership, more for the recovery benefits than anything else. I don't carry anything in the car apart from a jack, wheelbrace and spare wheel. I am still quite thorough with weekly checks on both cars though, and both are serviced at least to manufacturers schedules if not more often.

I've only broken down three times in 15 years of driving, and considering I've done between 15 and 30k per year for the past 7 years or so, this is a fantastic tribute to the reliability of modern cars.

The first breakdown was about a year into my driving career when my old Sierra blew its ignition coil. I was two miles from home, and my dad came out with a coil from a mk1 Cortina that had been kicking around his shed for years. We fitted it (using matchsticks to hold the LT wires on) and the car fired up instantly, and got me home, believe it or not.

The second was when my mk2 Cavalier SRI popped its fuel pump relay suddenly and without warning. The fault was easily traced and rectified.

The last was a couple of years ago in my old Mondeo TD which ran out of diesel on the M3 with a quarter tank still showing on the gauge. My father in law did the honours in that case as it was only a few miles from their house.

I used to carry a complete toolkit and a gallon of fuel, but stopped doing that ages ago. Now I'd just get the car recovered home and go from there.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 12/04/2008 at 01:35

what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - nick1975
mobile phone. credit card.
what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - jlo
Broke down in 2004 in my company car (Nissan Primera) twice. Once Starter motor had faulty connection and second a lead to the turbo charger broke causing limp home mode. Both times Nissan RAC promtly fixed.

My Wifes Reneult Scenic has had one coil pack go and even though it limped home Renault AA fixed under Warrantee.

Now I opt out of the company car scheme and Wifes car out of warrantee I just rely on good old Tesco Clubcard RAC joint cover. Cover me for my motorbike as well which is good.

I am not very mechanically minded (Would not know how to stick a pipe in a snowmans mouth LOL) so will just stick on the highvis Vest, and call the RAC!

PS My skills do allow me to check tyre pressures/oil and water though!!

Cheers

Jlo
what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - maltrap
Barrs leaks make a product (known in the trade as a dog turd) which i've always carried in the glove box in the event of a water leak, neverused it in10 years. Jump leads are essential for an automatic, the most common breakdown is a puncture so all the stuff needed to carry out a very messy job including something to kneel on, spare bulbs are also essential,and WD40.
what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - mike hannon
Just remembered - got a can of WD40 hidden away.
Of course I do carry a chamois and a 'detailing sponge' (bought for an euro at the supermarket because it looks like a duster to me), but the less said about that the better...
what`s your risk assessment on breakdown? - oilrag
A set of these just arrived in the post and will be carried as a spare along with the `AA` card to have them fitted if a road failure occurs. ( an alleged Mk2 Punto weakness)

tinyurl.com/6xjlzw

Also decided to carry a clutch slave cylinder, as they are quite cheap and both parts fit our two Mk2 and 2B Punto`s.

Thought about carrying a few tools again to fit them, but given paying for the breakdown service anyway, there seems no point.
With long term ownership ( too mean to spend ;) of these cars planned, it seems worth it.

Of course, I will cut the AA cover to the cheapest option in order to get the money back.
But then, you knew I would do that didn`t you ;)

Regards