What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1992 2.0 - Steering wheel wobble at approx 60MPH - allan doc
When i reach around 60 MPH and my steering wheel starts to wobble and shake. It seems slightly worse when i de-accelerate. It seems to have got worse when my wheel hit a kerb whilst driving. Could this be either my tracking or wheel balancing? I was going to take it to a garage tomorrow and get the tracking or balancing done but dont want to waste cash. I have checked both tyres for any wear and they are both fine. Anybody any ideas whats most likely to cause problem?

year & engine details found via a forum search. How many more times have we got to ask people to include this information within the subject header - 'points to the 2 sticky posts up above'

Edited by Webmaster on 09/04/2008 at 00:19

Steering wheel wobble at approx 60MPH - Armitage Shanks {p}
You could have altered the tracking by hitting a curb, a balance weight could have come off, you could have damaged the wheel, you could have damaged the sidewall of the tyre and be in line for a blowout. Good idea to get it somewhere PDQ for a thorough check over and don't drive there too fast!
Steering wheel wobble at approx 60MPH - Peter.N.
Tracking won't cause wheel wobble, it just wears the tyres out. I would say that the wobble is caused by an out of balance wheel or damaged/faulty tyre.
Steering wheel wobble at approx 60MPH - robroy
I suffered from the very symtoms you describe - had the car tracked/wheels balanced - to no avail - then noticed a 'bulge' on one of the tyres. A new tyre cured the problem ie., remove road wheels, and check both inside and outside sidewalls.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/04/2008 at 01:30