1998 1.2L - Front Disks and pads - Tomuk
Hello all

I need to fit front disks and pads, how easy is it? My Dad will help me who last fitted them to a Ford Cortina. i also need to fit some new rear flexible brake hoses, is this easy enough to be done or is it worth paying £100 for some one else to do it.

Any advice will be appreciated :D

Tom

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/04/2008 at 20:00

1998 1.2L - Front Disks and pads - John S
Discs and pads are easy on these. You need a 7mm allen key (not normally in a set of keys) to remove the caliper pins and a 10mm allen key for your socket set to remove and replace the caliper brackets. IIRC they have to be tightened to 70 lb ft (check!) so you can't do it with an ordinary key. Brake hoses will be OK provided the small hexagon nuts you have to undo are not rusted up. if they are corroded, it's going to be time consuming!

JS
1998 1.2L - Front Disks and pads - Tomuk
awsome, this will save me a lot of cash,

Yeah the only problem is that the brake hoses are corroded, which is a little annoying, it was one of the main reasons i failed my MOT today... but i have a week off work to get it done :p

Replacement parts cant be all the expensive i hope, its just that i got quoted £240 for the whole lot, which i think is a little too much to be honest..

Thanks for reply,

Tom
1998 1.2L - Front Disks and pads - Dynamic Dave
Some of the info in the following how2 on corsasport *may* be of some use.

www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=2193...3

Some of it won't be relevant (eg, you won't need to undo the 11mm brake hose union from the caliper.)

Also a word of warning when pushing the pistons back into the calipers. Clamp the flexible brake pipes and slacken off the bleed nipple - this will prevent brake fluid from being pushed back into the master cylinder and the possibility of flipping the rubber seals.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/04/2008 at 21:40

1998 1.2L - Front Disks and pads - thomp1983
you'll want a brake pipe spanner for the brake hoses, generally a 14mm, there like a ring spanner but with a gap on one side to allow fitting it over the pipe. a normal spanner generally rounds off the pipe, be about £5 at most.

pads and discs should be about £70 maybe a bit cheaper and the hoses about £8 a piece, should be easily able to do it all in a day. also need a wire brush for cleaning of the calipers and some copper grease for fitting of the new pads and discs. and another point is to undo the bleed nipple when pushing the piston back in as vauxhalls have been known to flip there seals if you don't.

chris
1998 1.2L - Front Disks and pads - bathtub tom
I'm worried. You say:
"i also need to fit some new rear flexible brake hoses"

And then:
"the brake hoses are corroded"

Do you mean the flexible hoses, or the metal pipes?

Perhaps it may be a good idea to invest some of the potential money you save in a Haynes manual.