What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
The longest you have kept a car from new? - 007
I can't claim any records in this respect but a neighbour of mine has had her little old Ford in almost daily local use since 1983 ('A' prefix).

Who, out there, can beat this?
The longest you have kept a car from new? - james86
A friend of mine was given an original Fiat 500 as a 21st birthday present in 1974. She moved to California and took it with her, then moved back here and brought it back. Still running strong today!
The longest you have kept a car from new? - Blue {P}
Longest ever was my Fiesta, bought new in 2003, shifted on about 18 months later.

Since then I've not kept a car past 1 year, all bought secondhand though!

The longest you have kept a car from new? - DP
Never owned a new car. I have however bought two VWs off my father in law that he'd had from new. One was a 1985 mk2 Golf at 14 yrs old (brilliant car) and the other a 1998 R Polo at 7 yrs old (complete pile of junk).

Until two years ago, my uncle had a 1966 Morris Minor 1000 that he'd owned from new. 250,000 miles on the clock, and mint.

Cheers
DP
The longest you have kept a car from new? - ukbeefy
A friend of mine was given an original Fiat 500 as a 21st birthday present
in 1974. She moved to California and took it with her then moved back here
and brought it back. Still running strong today!

>>

How did she manage to get it past California emissions tests even in the 1970s? Also I'd imagine it would be the tiniest car on the road there by such a margin that you'd have everyone gawping...
The longest you have kept a car from new? - John R @ Work {P}
S reg ('98) Daewoo Matiz SE +. It'll be 10 in Oct. this year. I've never had any other motorcycle or car for so long...

Except for a few supermarket trolly dents it's in excelent condition, starts rain or shine. Does what is says on the tin.
Regards,
John R @ Work :¬)
The longest you have kept a car from new? - PoloGirl
21 months so far... and I'm so, so bored. Not quite bored enough to pay the £1000 to get out of the lease in July yet though!

The longest you have kept a car from new? - ifithelps
PoloGirl,

It's a good thing everything in life is not as boring as a Volkswagen.
The longest you have kept a car from new? - oilrag
I had a 1985 Volkswagen Polo C (bought new) for 1 year. Sold it to my father at that point and he kept it for another 16 years.
I serviced it for the whole 17 years, giving it an annual service in summer and in its later years went around it with a little waxoil on a brush.
No body repairs ever needed for MOT and it would have still done another 5 years or so if my father hadn`t given up driving. He gave it to someone and he still saw it running around the area until the tax ran out.

Being red (very faded) and with smears of hardened waxoil around its seams, it was no doubt deemed an embarrassment to be in by then and easily replaceable by a mere 10 year old for a few hundred pounds.
( preferably not in pink...sorry, `red`;)

Edited by oilrag on 07/04/2008 at 21:28

The longest you have kept a car from new? - grumpyscot
Longest I've managed was 4 years in a Saab. My Dad bought a new Mini (Austin Seven as it was then) in 1960 for just over £500. He sold it in 1971 for £150 at 70,000 miles, then bought an Austin 1100 which fell apart from rust within 3 years.
The longest you have kept a car from new? - deepwith
My m-i-l bought a Datsun Sunny Y reg (1983 I think) and it lived in Kensington getting rather battered by careless passersby. I was given it when she died in 1992 and drove it around for another nine years or so.
Locally there is a charming elderly gentleman who drives a beautiful open topped Lagonda with registration starting PN (cannot remember the numbers). It drives well apparently but looks in desperate need of a re-spray. We spoke to him once and he told us he had had it from new in the 30's. Like looking for it on a sunny day, hoping they are both still around.
The longest you have kept a car from new? - Roger Jones
Capri 2.8 Injection Special, acquired November 1984 as company car, purchased for private use Feb 1989, still going strong.

Golf VR6 Highline, acquired December 1996, sold July 2006.
The longest you have kept a car from new? - deepwith
As a follow up to my old chap in the Lagonda, I discovered yesterday that he had died late last year - so he kept his car nearly all his life.
The longest you have kept a car from new? - Mapmaker
I had a slightly older Polo than yours, Oilray - Y reg. It had about 12 previous owners... had never seen waxoyl, and was also a fine pinkish colour. I ran it for a year.

Killed by a blocked oil breather.
The longest you have kept a car from new? - Bagpuss
Doesn't beat the OP, but my Mercedes W124 was first registered in 1994 and kept by the original owner until 2007, when I bought it. In that time it covered 68,000km.
The longest you have kept a car from new? - Mapmaker
That's reminded me, one of my short-lived MB W123s was first registered in 1984 and had one owner until 2004ish when I bought it - during which period it had covered a few over 100k miles.
The longest you have kept a car from new? - madf
SWMBO has owned her 106 from new for 15 years,,,
The longest you have kept a car from new? - bintang
Average over 25 cars 2.25 years. Longest about 3 years with an old MGTD. (Shortest 48 hours - it caught fire.)
The longest you have kept a car from new? - harry m
i bought a new xr3 in 1982 kept it for 22 years when it had done 82000 miles.great car never will be able to buy another car that was so reliable.
The longest you have kept a car from new? - dixgas
Bought a 1 year old Rover 620sli in may 1998 ( Honda engine wonderfull) had a altercatoin with a wagon in Nov. 2007, insurance assesser said it was the best he'd seen for the age, but still wrote it off.
Now got a 8 month old Lexus IS 220d, love it.

DJ
The longest you have kept a car from new? - Bilboman
The winner has to be...
www.treehugger.com/files/2007/08/volvo_lasts_25.php
They really don't make them like they used to...
The longest you have kept a car from new? - L'escargot
Crikey, that's an average of over 60,000 miles per year for 40 years!
The longest you have kept a car from new? - b308
Only a beginner at this lark - I used to change every 9/12 months, but my last one lasted me nearly 6 years....
The longest you have kept a car from new? - John F
Crikey that's an average of over 60 000 miles per year for 40 years!

Yes, it's amazing what people will believe, isn't it.

I've had a TR7 since 1981......which I guess some people will also find difficult to believe!