What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2001 1.8 Zetec - Stalling at low revs - Boggy
When I slow down approaching a roundabout / junction, the revs drop to below 500, battery light comes on and I have to give it a little gas to stop it cutting out - battery seems fine, not low on fuel - engine management light does not come on. Why the drop in revs? Any ideas anyone?

Edited by Boggy on 05/04/2008 at 15:07

2001 1.8 Zetec - Stalling at low revs - Saltrampen
I suspect sometimes this maybe an effect from Sensors damaged in the Feb 07 petrol contamination, but only a suspicion.
Reported similar problem to Ford, they retightened spark plugs, checked vacuum hoses, tightened air intake clips and cleaned/refitted the idle control valve. Made it slightly better, but 100% convinced it has cured fault. I also suspect dodgy electric thermostat, but again
can offer no proof.
If it is the same fault as mine, it happens when engine has just reached temp and has been under load (hill). After 5 minutes of normal operating temp, problem doesn't occur.
I too would be interested to hear if anyone has solved this fault.
2001 1.8 Zetec - Stalling at low revs - Screwloose

Depends if it's auto or manual? There was an upgraded program to stop this effect on autos - which had a lower idle speed setting.

Check the wires on the PAS pressure switch aren't broken and that the breather hose from the PCV valve on the front of the block all the way to the inlet on the back hasn't collapsed inwards and split - very hard to spot in-situ.
2001 1.8 Zetec - Stalling at low revs - Saltrampen
Also wonder if it is the throttle position sensor as this effects the nominally similar engine in the focus. Mine is a manual 1.8 LX but post 2003 model. Thought the PAS switch controlled the valve that was opened up at higher speeds so that not pumping fluid to PAS system when not needed...I guess if broken then is system flooding with extra fuel to compensate for extra load? Or have I got this completely wrong?
2001 1.8 Zetec - Stalling at low revs - Screwloose

On these it's a switch not an actuator. It detects pressure in the PAS feed pipe and increases the idle 100 revs to compensate.
2001 1.8 Zetec - Stalling at low revs - Richie_green
I had similar problem on my 200 LX and it was the EGR valve. The garage cleaned it but didnt fix it so they replaced the part.
2001 1.8 Zetec - Stalling at low revs - kiss (keep it simple)
I had the same problem on a 1996 Golf. The throttle body was gummed up. Cleaned it with a kitchen wipe. Sorted, so worth a try.