What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Satnav disaster? No, I say. - FotheringtonThomas
A gel was going to see an Association Footballl game, but ended up halfway across the Styx near York:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008...m
l

"The journey from the family estate at Althorp, near Northampton, should have been a straightforward 85 mile hop south down the M1 to Chelsea?s Stamford Bridge stadium.

But it went wrong when the driver typed the destination into his sat-nav and then dutifully followed the instructions 146 miles north to the village of Stamford Bridge near York."

Apparently, neither the driver, the passenger, nor the "controller" at the taxi firm noticed anything amiss until the end of the journey!

(eyebrows raised)
Satnav disaster? No, I say. - rtj70
You would have thought that seeing road signs for Nottingham, then Sheffield, York, etc. might have got someone thinking .... we're going the wrong way! And the distance is about double too.

If true, then the taxi driver should not be a taxi driver. The Stamford Bridge football ground is near Fulham isn't it. And if he had to rely on sat nav could he not have selected Chelsea FC under a POI category like "Stadium"?
Satnav disaster? No, I say. - Round The Bend
"....from the family estate at Althorp..."

Using a taxi? Had the Range Rover broken down again?
Satnav disaster? No, I say. - Bromptonaut
Even if it was one of the younger twins you'd think they'd know that London was south of "home".
Satnav disaster? No, I say. - stunorthants26
Did the passenger specify which Stamford Bridge they wanted?
Satnav disaster? No, I say. - Optimist
"....from the family estate at Althorp..."
Using a taxi? Had the Range Rover broken down again?

The photograph I saw yesterday had her stretching an elegant leg out of a Porsche Cayenne.

Whatever happened to patriotism?
Satnav disaster? No, I say. - Nsar
That would be patriotism to our Royal family who are German just three or four generatios back?!

Satnav disaster? No, I say. - ijws15

Dumb blond (Just guessing) going to see Chelsea gets into taxi and does not say "Chelsea Football ground" but says "Stamford Bridge please".

What would you expect a taxi driver to do - I don't know the names of all the premier league grounds and I doubt many taxi drivers in Northamtonshire do either!

She should have realised that her instructions were wrong when they headed north - hence the guess at dumb blonde!

Not sat nav at fault at all.

Satnav disaster? No, I say. - oldpostie
What would you expect a taxi driver to do - I don't know the names
of all the premier league grounds and I doubt many taxi drivers in Northamtonshire do
either!

Lucky to find one in this area who spoke English.
>>What would you expect a taxi driver to do<<

Ask where's that?

Satnav disaster? No, I say. - martint123
I'm not sure why satnav is in the title? - Wouldn't the same happen using a paper map?
That's the point. A quick look at a map would tell you just how big a mistake you were about to make.

An analogy would be that Sat nav is like travelling around London by Tube - you start your journey somewhere and you pop out somewhere else with no idea where things are in relation to one another.

A sense of direction is a part of common sense, which is a part of responsible driver behaviour.

Satnav disaster? No, I say. - movilogo
A sense of direction is a part of common sense

Unfortunately, it is so uncommon in modern Britain.
Satnav disaster? No, I say. - adverse camber
By coincidence the previous web site that I looked at was this one

xkcd.com/407/
Satnav disaster? No, I say. - Lud
Lady Kitty
Is fairly pretty
But there are few denser
Than the children of Earls Spencer

Edited by Lud on 07/04/2008 at 15:00

Satnav disaster? No, I say. - Orson {P}
Very good indeed!
Reminds me of a haiku (17 syllable Japanese ode) I once saw: