What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2005 TDCi (2litre / 130bhp) - Engine running on - drivewell
Hi folks

Often get the impression that the engine runs on for a second or two after switching off. Can't say it happens all the time.

NB: I'm not confusing this with the HVAC flaps and motors which seem to sometimes change position when the power is switched off.

Scared it was maybe some oil leakage through the turbo bearing seals, but since engine uses virtually no oil, think I can discount this.

Searched forum, thinking I had read about this before, but couldn't find relevant posts.

Comments please........
2005 TDCi (2litre / 130bhp) - Engine running on - jc2
Turning off the ignition turns off the HP pump-engine runs till pressure drops.
2005 TDCi (2litre / 130bhp) - Engine running on - kithmo
Interpretation of "a second or two" could depend on how fast your body clock is giong at the time. I know a diesel tends to stop more abruptly than a petrol engine, due to the higher compression, but it could be just the flywheel effect which is just allowing the engine to run over a couple of turns. My TDCi engine stops immediately as soon as I turn off the ignition.
Turning off the ignition turns off the HP pump-engine runs till pressure drops.

The HP pump is actually driven mechanically by the cam chain, do you mean it turns off the injectors ?
If so, how can the engine run when the ignition is off unless fuel (or oil) is being drawn in from somewhere else. Or are you saying the injectors default to open when powered down ?

Edited by kith on 02/04/2008 at 15:31