What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2003, 30k miles - Interesting bargain or scam? - sunbeamer
While looking at the private adds on Autotrader for a Cooper S I was struck by one advertised for £4801, it being a 2003 with 30k miles and supposedly in excellent condition. It turned out that the seller had bought the car in the UK but was now selling it from Switzerland. The price was low I was told because the owner had tried to sell it to Swiss dealers but they were not interested in it because it was RHD. I was further told that the owner would go halves on the shipping and insurance charge, this being about £600. The payment method I found puzzling. It was suggested to me I should use eBay's Protected Payment system which I was told would involve sending the payment to Ebay, who would then hold this until the car arrived at my address with the full logbook etc. Only after I was fully satisfied with the car would I then instruct eBay to make payment to the seller. I am registered with eBay but was only aware of the PayPal method.
I would welcome further comments

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/04/2008 at 14:48

Mini Cooper S , Interesting bargain or scam? - nick
Rule number one: If a deal looks too good to be true, it is. Run away.
Mini Cooper S , Interesting bargain or scam? - Gromit {P}
There have been several versions of this tactic discussed here recently. Nick's advice holds good for all of them...
Mini Cooper S , Interesting bargain or scam? - Chris S
We've had this before, except the last time the seller was in Austria!

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=56106
Mini Cooper S , Interesting bargain or scam? - midlifecrisis
I'm probably being harsh, but I really can't believe that there are still people who fall for this scam. It's as old as the ark!

Mini Cooper S , Interesting bargain or scam? - oldnotbold
Expect the scammer will soon be in touch about the $25,000,000 in the bank that he needs "help" with!

The car's pictures have been ripped from a real, genuine ad. I've seen it done recently with a helicopter, also priced stupidly low. The text that went with it was so bizarre that it just screamed scam.
2003, 30k miles - Interesting bargain or scam? - rtj70
I'll sell you one for £4800. But I'll need the money in my Swiss account before I can send the car to you (first class registered post) ;-)

It's a scam.
2003, 30k miles - Interesting bargain or scam? - chairmanmatt
It's a scam. Often seen on Ebay. Like the others have said.... If it looks to good to be true. They also never offer you an phone number, just an email address.

Edited by chairmanmatt on 01/04/2008 at 17:36

2003, 30k miles - Interesting bargain or scam? - stuartl
I dont mean to sound rude but anyone who expresses even the vaguest interest in this sort of clap trap deserves to lose their money to these scammers.

If they are that dim but dont do a deal on this scam they will without doubt plunder their money into something equally as phoney very soon