99 1.2 16v loss of power. - mitch-clio.x
Hi can anyone help me please ??? My car is over revving, loosing power , using lots of fuel ( i have replaced the plugs) , very jerky, cuts out & hard to restart ( generally 20-30 mins)this can happen after a long or short run . ie rev at 3000 on its own but when i accelerate the revs drop , no power then cuts out. Renault have told me its the coolant sensor but ive got no probs with the heating or engine temp. Clio 1.2 16v 1999.
Regards
Michelle x

engine and year details edited in for you - we only ask three times so very easily missed

Edited by Pugugly on 31/03/2008 at 20:34

99 1.2 16v loss of power. - Screwloose
Michelle

Common fault on this engine. Haven't they just changed the sensor - they're only pennies.

This is the sensor for the engine management - not the gauge.
Thanks for that will replace at weekend.Renault want £145.00 to change the sensor.Is it easily accesible?
Thanks. Michelle. x

H-h-h how much!!! The book time is a generous 36 minutes and the sensor is around £23 for a good one?

It's in the gearbox end of the head; with the air-intake off, it's not bad at all.
Hi screwloose, Ive replaced the sensor now , yes it was only £27.00. Just wondered if i could trouble you again ? The car is running a little hot now . Temp comes up after about 2 miles but stays just below maximum on a continual journey
Regards Mitch

Odd? That sensor tells the engine management the coolant temp; it shouldn't affect the gauge?

Has changing it cured the original problems?
yeah original problem has been solved although it still runs a little high on fuel. according to tue temp gauge its running hot. Do you think it may be best to have a diagnostics done on her again? I really apprieciate your help
Regards Mitch x
Michelle

The possibility exists that that was the wrong sensor; I can't find a 16-valve 1.2 in '99; but there could have been a few, before they went CAN networked, that took a different sensor.

Check the chassis number with Renault parts to see if it's the right one.