What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Privacy glass? - NeilT
I'm just about to place an order for a new company car, and have decided on the new C220 CDi Sport Estate, however, I notice Privacy glass is listed neither as an option, or standard. This is strange as the old model had this availability...

Anyone got any ideas why?

As an off shoot for anyone considering the new C-Class, having run a BMW 320d for the past 2.5 years (80,000 miles), and also owning a 330d Touring, the mercedes is far superior in its driving (very comfy ride without runflats), even if the BMW has it beaten on seat comfort and interior quality. This was based on a 5 day, 700mile test drive....

--
Neil T
E90 BMW 320d M Sport, E91 330d SE Touring

Edited by Pugugly on 29/03/2008 at 08:13

New Mercedes C-Class Estate - Privacy glass? - Mapmaker
Because it is naff.

If you want to look as though you live in some ghastly part of Essex, you can doubtless have it retro fitted.
New Mercedes C-Class Estate - Privacy glass? - prm72
Oi,nuffin wrong wiv essex.
New Mercedes C-Class Estate - Privacy glass? - NeilT
That maybe, but its becoming increasingly standard on cars....

I dont particually like the look, however, apart from reducing the heat in the car, the main reason I like it is to stop prying eyes.... Unfortunatly leaving the load cover across just causes people to break in to see whats there anyway, the dark glass (if its dark enough) means its not so obvious when you have a full load of luggage, and you leave the car in a services car park somewhere in the middle of Spain, France, Italy or anywhere else where your likely to get noticed!

Edited by NeilT on 28/03/2008 at 14:19

New Mercedes C-Class Estate - Privacy glass? - MVP
Doesn't it normally come on a reel that you stick-on and get air bubbles all over it ;)

Chavtastic !

MVP
New Mercedes C-Class Estate - Privacy glass? - FotheringtonThomas
Because it is naff.

It is, isn't it - as well as having effects on general driving.
New Mercedes C-Class Estate - Privacy glass? - zookeeper
who wants to drive around in what looks like a mortuary vehicle?
New Mercedes C-Class Estate - Privacy glass? - JH
it might keep the sun out if you were a vampire?
JH
New Mercedes C-Class Estate - Privacy glass? - Mad Maxy
Black with privacy glass: wealthy drug dealer.
New Mercedes C-Class Estate - Privacy glass? - BobbyG
My Altea has rear privacy glass in the rear doors, quarters and tailgate. I think it looks classy rather than trashy, contrasts well with the paintwork but, as has been mentioned above, you would really need to go out of your way to see what is in the back or boot of the car. A simple glance as youpass won't show you anything.

BTW, this is standard fit, not an optional extra.

I think there is a big difference between privacy glass and blacked out and that is the difference between it being classy and trashy.
Also any heavy tinting of driver's door makes it trashy!

IMHO of course!
New Mercedes C-Class Estate - Privacy glass? - Vincent de Marco
That diesel is a bit too noisy for my taste. I really expected much, much better from Mercedes. BMW's 320d is a lot smoother, not to mention the new common-rail 2.0 TDI in Audi A4. And that's not all, because Merc's 5-speed autobox haunts for proper gear more often than its counterparts from Audi and BMW, not to mention they're both 6-speed boxes and cost same money.
New Mercedes C-Class Estate - Privacy glass? - boxsterboy
Well the OP had a 5-day 700 mile test, and is obviously happy!