What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
'99 1.6 VTR - Headlight replacement - Roland T
Hi,
I've offered to change a broken N/S headlight for a friend at work.
Does anyone know how to remove the old unit?
A thin, flimsy body coloured strip of the radiator grille runs under the headlight and meets up with the wing under the indicator. It looks like the whole grille has to come off but I couldn't see how to release the clip by this joint and it looks so fragile that forcing it will snap it. I wondered if the indicator light had to be removed first. This seems to be clipped onto the side of the headlight unit but I couldn't easliy remove that either.
Any help would be much appreceiated.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/03/2008 at 18:51

Headlight replacement '99 1.6 VTR - Scissor_digits
You could always fess up to your friend at work that you in fact have no idea how to change the broken headlight and merely offered out of courtesy.

Friend at work wouldn't happen to be a member of the opposite sex would they ;-)

Edited by Scissor_digits on 19/03/2008 at 18:41

Headlight replacement '99 1.6 VTR - thomp1983
if it's like any other psa car then the strip of plastic will be secured by a white plastic clip on the back near the wing so you'll need to get to the back of it usually through the wheel arch, which will probably involve the removal of the arch liner. after that id imagine, couple of bolts at the top and couple behind that strip and it should come out.

or the indicator will push out with abit of light force, possibly by pulling on a metal spring if it has one, it may not and could be a case of bending the clip where it goes into the headlight whilst pushing out, once that is done the white clip holding the plastic trim on should be easily reachable

chris

Edited by thomp1983 on 19/03/2008 at 18:50

Headlight replacement '99 1.6 VTR - Roland T
Thanks Chris,
I could just see the white clip from underneath but am not familiar with PSA cars so wasn't sure of the type.
I partially removed the wheel arch liner but couldn't get much purchase on the rear of the indicator without removing the horn as well........ Anyway, another go at levering the indicator out from the front finally got it out and allowed easy access to the white clip as suggested.
It was straight forward from there but I think I should advise said friend from driving through clouds of insects in the summer to protect the flimsy trim from impact damage!