2004 2.7 diesel - DSC sensor - Ned the magnificent
Jaguar S-type 2.7 diesel 2004 (04 plate) {this bit now added to the subject header, as per the 3 separate requests you missed}

Intermittent fault with sensor for dynamic stability control (DSC) system. Warning light appears at random intervals (every few days) saying "DSC not available".
Local Jag dealer has investigated and says sensor is faulty but just the sensor cannot be replaced - the whole DSC unit needs replacing at a cost of £690!!
This seems excessive, but does of course include huge hourly rates for main dealership.
Am I being had over here? Could a local garage do it cheaper? Can the sensor be replaced on its own?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/03/2008 at 10:16

2004 2.7 diesel - DSC sensor - Falkirk Bairn
Scrappy?
2004 2.7 diesel - DSC sensor - Ned the magnificent
What do you mean?
2004 2.7 diesel - DSC sensor - Dynamic Dave
What do you mean?

Scrappy = scrapyard:- as in see if you can obtain the part from their.
2004 2.7 diesel - DSC sensor - Screwloose

Which sensor is it that has failed? If it's an acceleration or yaw sensor built into the module, then it may be possible for an ECU reconditioner to replace it; but accurate fault/code details will be needed.
2004 2.7 diesel - DSC sensor - Westpig
why not consult a Jag independent, far cheaper than main dealer and they have all the diagnostics

i can recommend one in Epping (J26 M25)...if any good to you, ask a Mod nicely to forward me an e-mail