What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
04 1.4tdci won't restart - ryanp
fiesta zetec 1.4 tdci 2004 went to start the car this morning it ran for a second or two then cut out now it wont start again its still firing over but wont run does any one have a similar problem or an answer to this thanks

engine and year edited in - you're new so you're forgiven, we do ask three time before you post though !

Edited by Pugugly on 15/03/2008 at 21:06

04 1.4tdci won't restart - Screwloose

Difficult with so little to go on; but, unless there's an immobilizer LED flashing, a fuel delivery fault of some kind is the most likely.
04 1.4tdci won't restart - ryanp
took the car to the garage who managed to start the car some how and returned it to me as fixed same thing happened two days later so i decided to investgate my self. i took a close look into the engine with a light and could see deisel pooled around the injectorsbut to get into required alot of parts being taken off (was not an easy job) anyway after a couple of removing parts i noticed that there was a small leak coming from one of the clips that the return pipes are connected it turned out to be a burst o ring on the clip that was the problem, ford dont sell these seperately you need to buy the return pipe kit which only cost 20 pound once back together and after bleeding the system the car is back to running who needs a garage!!!
04 1.4tdci won't restart - Pugugly
Nice result - thanks for posting it for future readers.
04 1.4tdci won't restart - golfmad1066

I've had this problem three times (at 40,60 and 90,000 miles) and its almost certainly the diesel leak off pipes that have failed.They have small o rings and these fail allowing air into the fuel system.

If you pump the black flexible fuel valve on the left side of the cam cover 20 times or so until you feel fuel entering the bulb, you will purge air from the system and the car will start. you may need to do this each time you leave the car switched off for a while.

leak off pipe kits are about fifteen quid but it took me three hours to change them. dont attempt it unless you are a competent mechanic!

Hope this helps