What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
01 1.6 gearstick not centralizing. - danielg4455
Hi

I have got a problem with my gear lever.
When im 2nd and try to select 3rd the gear lever does not return to neutral postion.
So changing 1st to 2nd or vice-versa is easy work.
If im in 4th or 5th and change down gears it will go into the neutral postion.

When the car is stood still and wiggle the gear stick it feels like nothing is there on the left hand side.But the right hand side feels normal

I've read on another post that its the gear lever return spring and it cost a few quid to purchase another.
They also posted links on how to fix it.Unfortunately these links dont work no-more.

Could someone please explain how to fix OR possible send me a link on how to fix it.

Thanks

Dan

shouting in subject line silenced

Edited by Pugugly on 14/03/2008 at 19:25

01 1.6 gearstick not centralizing. - Flycog
Hi
Dead easy repair, did one last week on my dad's Focus. Lift the gearstick gaitor, undo the retaining screws for the lever. Just replace the broken spring with the new one, a tad fiddley but not too bad.
Regards
Flycog
01 1.6 gearstick not centralizing. - danielg4455
Thanks for your help.
Got spare spring from FORD cost: £4.25

I had to remove the center console by twisting off the gear knob.
Then remove the cup holder mats and undo the 2 screws.
Then removed the fag tray at the back of console and remove the cap covering the screw and also undo that screw.
Then lift out the centre console then locating the spring.

Removed the black plastic casing around the gear lever (3 big-ish screws)

Then removed the spring and replaced parts in reverse order.

Easy enough but i had to take my time.Took approx 15mins.

Hope this helps anyone with similar problem which seems quite common.
01 1.6 gearstick not centralizing. - Waino
Glad the job succeeded and thanks for the detailed feedback. SWMBO's got a 1.6 Focus, so I'll remember that.
01 1.6 gearstick not centralizing. - phild1961
Hi

I've got the same problem with my gear lever not returning to the central position from second gear, so awkward to find 3rd. I had a look and it seems that the spring isn't broken, more that it's slipped out of position, but I'm not sure how it's supposed to sit. Do you have any pictures showing the location of the spring in it's correct position (probably a long shot) or does the open end of the spring (not the looped end) slip into the notch on the plastic base that has the 3 big Phillips screws, tried this last night but was very fiddly and then it got too dark to see what I was doing.
Hope you can help.

Thanks,

phild1961