lowest band MPV that will take 3 car seats - moonshine {P}

In the 'budget VED changes' discussion, Devonboy78 asked:

"what is the lowest band MPV that will take 3 car seats across the rear bench under the new regime?"

Well, I have the exact same question, as do many others I suspect. Note that we are talking about three children that must by law go in child seats, this does limit the options somewhat.

I like the idea of a TD estate type car, but I'm not sure that 3 seats will fit across the back.

The DFT website shows the ford focus C-max as being the best MPV at 124g/km

www.dft.gov.uk/ActOnCO2/index.php?q=best_on_co2_ra...s

2 questions:

1 - can anyone suggest anything better?
2 - does anyone know if it will take three child seats in the back?
lowest band MPV that will take 3 car seats - rjr
I've got a C-Max and I think you will struggle to get 3 seats across the back.

I was under the impression that the old Citroen Picasso was the cheapest car with 3 individual seats on sale in the UK (one of the reasons it was so popular). Hopefully Citroen carried this feature over on to the new model.

Yes, I think you are right about the C-Max - I've looked at some photos online and it looks like the middle seat isn;t quite wide enough. I imagine it would fine as they get older and no longer need the car seats.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Picasso, I'll take a look at them but I have strong adversion to French cars...

The Picasso comes in at 135g/km BTW
lowest band MPV that will take 3 car seats - Paul I
Try a VW Touran 1.9 tdi 105 bhp
lowest band MPV that will take 3 car seats - boxsterboy
Thanks for the suggestion of the Picasso I'll take a look at them but I
have strong adversion to French cars...

Not all prejuduices are valid. We've had a Xsara Picasso, a Synergie and still have a 4.5 year old C8 (from new). All were/are fine.
lowest band MPV that will take 3 car seats - davmal
Mazda 5 hasn't a bench seat as such. Sold as seven seater but more of a six seater with occasional 7th (which can't be used for a child seat) but it is easy enough for an older child, who can fasten their own seatbelt to get into the back, with the added bonus of sliding doors. Wouldn't fancy it though if you had to clamber in to fasten the seat belt in the rear. TD comes in at 162 on the planet death scale and car doesn't seem as large as some MPVs, closer to the C Max size I think.

Saw a Mazda 5 the other day - thought it was nice looking car. Ddin;t realise they had sliding doors, might have to look at them in a bit more detail. Thanks for the tip.