What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
buying fords - terry
mailshot by main dealer who is offering to sell new fords at price he paid (will show invoice) what kind of discount can I expect
buying fords - El Hacko
don't rush - the way the general economy's slowing, dealers (backed by manufacturers' incentives) will soon be advertising "at less than cost"
buying fords - qxman {p}
Terry, it means nothing does it. The invoice will show a figure, but its not what the car "cost" the dealer because they get bonus payments after they sell the car which can be a biggish percentage of the cars invoice price. VW sent me a mailshot with a similar theme at the start of the year (they would sell the car at invoice + £5). Its a shame when dealers resort to tricks like this.
buying fords - madf
Agree with Hacko...
wait for a few dealers to go bust and buy in autumn when they are desperate to shift stock...

buying fords - barchettaman
Alternatively, wait for Ford itself to go bust ;-)
buying fords - Blue {P}
It's a trick, we did it to our customers where I worked, there may be some reasonable deals but don't forget as has already been pointed out, the dealers get a bonus payment after selling a certain quantity of cars which effectively means they can sell all of their stock at cost price and still make several hundred thousand pounds in profit.

buying fords - L'escargot
....... buy in autumn when they are
desperate to shift stock...

How many people actually buy a new car from a dealer's stock? Every new car I've ever bought has come from the factory to the specification I ordered.

buying fords - Blue {P}
>> ....... buy in autumn when they are
>> desperate to shift stock...
How many people actually buy a new car from a dealer's stock? Every new car
I've ever bought has come from the factory to the specification I ordered.

Lots and lots of people do, there are better deals to be had on cars that are in stock, it's all down to luck of the draw but if a dealer has had a car sitting around for long enough then the manufacturer might have several incentives in place to get it sold.

We'd had a Mondeo Zetec sat around for 18 months once, that qualified for a hefty discount I can tell you! :-)

buying fords - madf
Imo there are three types of buyer:
1. The ignorant who buys when he/she wants to and shaves something off price - by luck.
2. The "I want it now" who PAYS
and
3. The "I know what I want and will wait till I see a very good time and price."
This will probably takes months.. but can save 20-30% from what 1 pays.

I am now strongly in the latter category. You need patience and systems (auto searches on ebay or autotrader).

If you want a specific specification you may wait even longer.

But it is amazing what you can buy cheaply. (particularly computer parts. :-)

Very rarely do people fall into the"I MUST have a new to me car cos the old one has died" category. So it's all a matter of choice and time..

You can take the same attitude to food shopping, or furniture or gardens or shares...

Patience and judgement ...and a source of ready cash to buy when the opportunity arises.

As credit sources dry up due to the credit crunch and the UK economy slows and oil prices rise and taxes on bigger cars rise, there will - imo of course - going to be lots of cars on the market virtually unsaleable at current prices.

if you can wait do so..

buying fords - jc2
And you'll find you can't afford to run them either!!
buying fords - Galad
>How many people actually buy a new car from a dealer's stock?>

Mazda 323TD bought new in 2002 from dealer stock, saved £2,000 on list by paying cash; New pre-registered Corsa 1.2 Design, again saved £2k on list. Very happy to buy from stock.
buying fords - L'escargot
Mazda 323TD bought new in 2002 from dealer stock saved £2 000 on list by
paying cash; New pre-registered Corsa 1.2 Design again saved £2k on list.

That's OK if you just want the standard specification, but there's always been something extra that I've wanted. Penny pinching is all well and good but not if it means disappointment later because you've compromised too much on the specification. My big regret in buying my current car as low mileage used is that it hasn't got the optional sunroof I'd have specified if I'd bought it new. In future I'll be back to ordering exactly what I want.
buying fords - barney100
If they are offering fantastic deals then there is very often a deception of some description going on. Car dealers are experts at making things sound good when they aren't.