Should I buy this Jag? - Verasboy
There is a 51 plate S Type V6 auto for sale at a dealer I know with just 38000 miles on the clock. The interior looks like it has never been sat in, astonishing looking motor and i have fallen in love with it. On sale for £6995, What should I be aware of?
Should I buy this Jag? - Carse
Buy it and be aware that you are getting a £30k motor for £7k. As with any car check its service history and get a HPI check.

Only if everything is imaculate with both these checks then happy motoring.

Carse
Carse, yes this car has a full Jag service historty, all bills and all old MOT's!
Bank manager here I come.
Should I buy this Jag? - Gromit {P}
Good to see the car has history, but still get the HPI done. Is there oustanding finance? Is it a repo? Crashed/reparied? Being sold from the estate of a deceased owner?

There has to be a reason why its selling so cheap. Some may cause you concern, others not, but you need to know what that reason is before you can decide whether its the right car for you.
Should the possibility of being sold off from the estate of a deceased owner pose any difficulties? and do you thing this car is being sold too cheaply?
Should I buy this Jag? - Dipstick
I ran one of these for a year and it was superb. The only issue I know of is that the cooling system can leak - but it's just a replacement reservoir. You can read about it here, at the Jag forum, and it's not really very expensive to sort.

I had the 3 litre petrol and got about 26-28 mpg most of the time.

Info about cooling system here:

tinyurl.com/2djghk

Thanks Dipstick, good advice.
Should I buy this Jag? - Westpig
Verasboy,

I have one, a '99 model & have had it for 6 years. Would thoroughly recommend it. Some common faults are:
-split header tank (as already mentioned), which can be quite a slight leak and difficult
to notice (approx £100).
- sticking door locks (which can prevent central locking and therefore alarm setting..
(about £120)
- early ones had coil faults (£20 each)
- speed humps can do the ball joints (£300 a go) and/or suspension bushes (£80)
- control valve on heater (roughly £100)

more than likely that car will have had a couple of these isues, but already dealt with. Get a good independent (got mine out of Jaguar World Monthly) and they all know the issues. Really good car for cheap price IMO and will have loads of kit in it. Mine has also recently had a fly by wire throttle sensor go (about £120), but i'm told it's not a common problem. The above costings are genuine Jag parts and approximations.

Edited by Westpig on 07/03/2008 at 12:45

Should I buy this Jag? - rtj70
I've spotted a 54 plate S type 2.5 auto with 35,000 miles for only £1000 more. So they are about for that price. A lot of car for the money.
Should I buy this Jag? - tr7v8
A couple of points.
The car was significantly facelifted in 02 & a lot of the changes made for greater reliability in bits like suspension. Handling was significantly changed as well.

Mine is 54 plated 2.7SE D, it's a fantastic car, I've taken it from 43K - 72K, the only problems apart from a muppet Polish lorry driver hitting it have been a jammed heater valve fixed in around 90 minutes under warranty. It had 3 services when I bought it & I've done the 60K, it'll be having another in a few weeks for the 75K one.
It also gets lots of admiring comments, even from non-petrolheads.
MMMmmm - that's interesting, a later facelifted version might just be a better buy then.
Perhaps sense decrees that I wait until an 02/52 plate comes up for sale somewhere.
Cheers for this, very helpful. I'll go see the car this week-end. The dealer is well known & only sells "prestige" stuff - mercs and the like but usually with high mileage readings. Another offering is a 4litre Sovereign, 1999, one owner with 114,000 miles at £4995, but this is a mega engine & probably expensive to run.
Should I buy this Jag? - barney100
Get somebody like the AA to check it over and if all ok go for it...let us know how it goes.
Should I buy this Jag? - cunim
I have just bought the same model 51 reg and the Jaguar dealer knocked off over £1500 from the 8K asking price. Don't forget that as the S type is replaced by the XF model, the dealers will be trying to get rid of as many second hand models as possible. Nevertheless, it is still a good buy.
Should I buy this Jag? - maltrap
if only i was as foolish as you, "AV IT".
Should I buy this Jag? - Martin Devon
6K tops, although a mate has just pxed a 'Y' 35K 3.0 se auto sat nav silver for 8.5k against a Shogun ex demo long wheelbase doofer machine. Where will they place that Jag then?

VBR.........MD