What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Diesel recommendations in the owner's manual - craig-pd130
I was browsing the owner's manual for the new Mondeo (like you do), and came across the fuel recommendations.

It was surprisingly open, saying that any diesel that meets the EN590 standard is fine. Also 5% biodiesel is fine too.

I would have thought after all the hoo-ha from dealers about "quality fuels" for the latest-generation common-rail motors, the manual would be more specific than that.
Diesel recommendations in the owner's manual - 659FBE
Ford would be in real trouble on a market-wide basis if they were to be any more specific than recommending standard fuel to EN590.

You probably know my feelings concerning the quality of the fuel system fitted to these vehicles - best of luck. What I can tell you is that I have been involved in the fuel testing business and UK "high street" fuel is really very good indeed and very clean. Well done, the oil Companies. I have never seen a significant non-compliance of EN590 in a UK sourced fuel which could cause the type of difficulties experienced by users of fuel systems made by a particular manufacturer. I don't buy the "contaminated fuel" story.

My VAG PD 130 gets Tesco or Jet fuel to EN590 as recommended by its maker. Of course, with a unit injector setup the most highly stressed pump components (cam and roller follower) are lubricated with engine oil. Commercial engines have been like this for years.

I think with CR systems, neglecting significant quality problems experienced by some major fuel systems supplier(s), fuel rail pressures are now so high that the fuel itself is a borderline lubricant even in a well designed, made and toleranced fuel pump. If I'm right, a CR diesel is now a questionable purchase.

Edited by 659FBE on 05/03/2008 at 13:23

Diesel recommendations in the owner's manual - kithmo
It says the same in the later Mk3 Mondeo manuals.
A point I would use if mine develops any "poor fuel quality" issues (touch wood it hasn't yet). Although I only use Shell and I can't see that being classed as a poor quality fuel.
Diesel recommendations in the owner's manual - rtj70
I'm pretty sure (but cannot check any longer) but my previous 53 plate Euro IV Mondeo TDCi had biodiesel was a big no-no. Might have changed on later cars.