What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
94 2.0 - Any Thoughts on a replacement - Dobiesmon
Hi
I drive a Ford Granada L reg jan 1994 2.0i Executive 5d now 145.000 on the clock I have had the car 10 years it has done me proud but as time has gone on now parts are hard to find with the garage and they say time to call it a day as I am now told with the problem ( head gasket on its way out would be a big job ,just had a new petrol tank before xmass and now a new idle control valve as it kept hunting and revs drop cutting out when braking ie coming off slip rds roundabouts but would start again when engine cooled .still does this and we have a bit of smoke from the back tinge bluesince having the valve fitted .

what else could I look at that has a big boot to carry dogs .

{subject line expanded upon to make less vague - hopefully}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/03/2008 at 00:52

94 2.0 - Any Thoughts on a replacement - oldnotbold
Volvo 940 estate- there's a nice diesel manual on Ebay right now, with leather interior. About £1500-£1800 I'd guess.
94 2.0 - Any Thoughts on a replacement - Falkirk Bairn
What's the Budget?
Hi
Well not much really no cash point being either go for an old one and throw money at so might be in the same boat as the Granada in a few years or one about
3-4 years old on finance , I would love to get a van but its the vat upfront
I am carer for my disabled son so not working
94 2.0 - Any Thoughts on a replacement - gordonbennet
Not all vans are subject to vat, if a private buyer buys the van new and pays the vat then they will be selling on in due course without the vat, i'm pretty sure.

Just a thought, as your a carer could you not qualify for motability for your son, then get a vehicle on the motability scheme.

I'm totally ignorant of the scheme, and forgive me for being so.

Other than that if you are buying a vehicle and want room and access, then you wouldn't go far wrong with berlingo/partner either in van or multispace/combi version.
Some of the non turbo diesels are now quite reasonable and though they may not be a road racer, they are economical, tough, and simple/reliable. Pre facelift versions are simpler still.

I'm sure though if you keep your eyes open, you could get a large saloon (pre 2001 for ved reasons) quite cheaply, buy with long mot, get some handy person to check it out for you and if it gets through the next mot, great if not do the same again.
I'm only suggesting the last point as you don't seem to mind the fuel economy of the good old granada, so you could replace with camry/accord/sonata/nubira etc.

Good fortune with your search.
Hi gordonbennet
(( pre 2001 for ved reasons)) can you explain to me or point me in the right direction
94 2.0 - Any Thoughts on a replacement - gordonbennet
Hell Dobiesmon.

Its the fault of the chancellor, bless him or something who has retrospectively increased the ved (car tax) on the larger engined (higher co2 which the tax bands are based on) cars.

You are ok for this year, but from April 09 if you have something as normal as a 1.8 petrol astra (just an example) registered after March 01 the tax will jump up 50% to £300, if youve got something larger like a 2.5 litre petrol mondeo regd after March 01 it will be around the £400+ mark.

If you have a look at some different sites like Autotrader for example or even search here you will find the information and the bandings explained better than i possibly can.

In his infinite wisdom the chancellor, bless him or something has left cars regd. before March 01 alone (for how long the goal posts remain is anyone's guess), so if you buy say a volvo estate , mazda 626 estate (thats a very good car) or similar regd before 01, then as far as we can say at the moment the tax will only increase the normal 10 to 25 smackers each year and not the extortionate amount that will happen to the later cars.

Basically if you are going to buy a vehicle regd after 01, unless you're prepared to pay 3 or 4 hundred for road tax, you will need to buy a car with emissions under i think 150 or so grams of co2 per km, unless of course you do get a van which will be a light commercial and about 195 next year. And i believe a diesel berlingo multispace (which is a car for tax puposes would be in the lower threshold.

Its all a bit of a minefield, but believe me cars later than 01 in the higher bands will have even worse depreciation than now, so this is not the time to buy a large engined car regd after 01.

I'm probably slightly out on the figures but not far and i'm sure some of the better informed members of the BR will correct any mistakes.

Bet i've caused even more confusion, sorry if thats the case.

Regards to you and yours.
94 2.0 - Any Thoughts on a replacement - Falkirk Bairn
I am carer for my disabled son so not working

Disabled son? Do you not qualify for a motability car?
94 2.0 - Any Thoughts on a replacement - Mapmaker
A 1999 or 2000 version of your current car which won't cost you more than a thousand?
94 2.0 - Any Thoughts on a replacement - RaineMan

Sorry to be an anorak. The Granda was replaced by the Scorpio (the bug eyed model) in 1994. This went out of production in June 1998 although you may see one registered later than that. The estate is a really useful vehicle but when I looked around a few years ago I found people hung on to them until they needed serious money spending on them. Might be worth considering a Volvo estate.
Hi gordonbennet
you are only able to get a car if you get the higher Rate of mobility not the lower rate ( only 2 rates ) . shame as he gets the disability for life

RainMan
It was first reg in jan 94 but is a 93 car it is not anything but a Granada as it has the 2.0 engine not a 2.9 like the scorpio I did not put it in the heading .if thats what you where getting at if not I am sorry
But is it worth another £550 to the garage for a Head gasket
94 2.0 - Any Thoughts on a replacement - Hamsafar
Late Vauxhall Omega Estate?
Various Volvo Estates?
Citroen Berlingo for about £5K