What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Cars upside down on a transporter - Chris S
I (and a colleague) have seen cars hanging upside down from the top deck of a transporter.

What's the point of this and how do they get them on?

Cars upside down on a transporter - ForumNeedsModerating
These are bound for export to Australia. They hang them upside down so that the cars are already acclimatised to their new home; I expect Number_cruncher can give us the technical whys & wherefores later on. Fact.
Cars upside down on a transporter - stackman
I expect they were Subaru Imprezas and were rigged on the transporter as part of their Subaglued publicity.

I used to work with transporters, specifically in dealing with transit damage claims. Some of the drivers struggle to load them the right way up without having to flip them into place.
Cars upside down on a transporter - normd2
never seen cars upside down but certainly at very strange angles. It would appear each car is on it's own platform which can be indepedently angled to allow the cars to be fitted in amongst each other to cram as many as possible into the maximum length allowed for the transporter.
Cars upside down on a transporter - Mazda-Man
Last time I saw anything like this was in Abu Dhabi in 1982 when as a young surveyor in the desert oil fields I came across an enormous transporter (Kenworth??) loaded with luxury cars which had partly disappeared down a large hole in the tarmac road. Severe flooding had washed the road away and left a large chasm which the driver evidently didn't spot. The cars were all over the place.......

Re the OP - could it all be a PR stunt for Solvite :)

Edited by Mazda-Man on 22/02/2008 at 09:38

Cars upside down on a transporter - drivewell
I (and a colleague) have seen cars hanging upside down from the top deck of
a transporter.
What's the point of this and how do they get them on?

My thoughts are what about the oil, and other fluids? OK, I know that they shouldn't leak, but, come on, cars are surely supposed to be kept the right way up. (not that I've ever turned one over)
Cars upside down on a transporter - BazzaBear {P}
Hope no-one minds me linking to another forum (single make, so not a HJ competitor). This has been discussed here:
www.alfaowner.com/Forum/way-off-topic/96056-subaru...l
Cars upside down on a transporter - Hamsafar
www.autoblog.com/media/2007/09/subaglue_1280.jpg
Cars upside down on a transporter - Mapmaker
www.testdriven.co.uk/news.cfm/upside-down-subaglue...h

Courtesy of the alfa owners link.
Cars upside down on a transporter - Cliff Pope
Why is "sticking to the road" always supposed to be such a desirable attribute?
To me, that implies that the car takes a lot of power just to overcome the friction.
Cars upside down on a transporter - Chris S
You wouldn't ask that question if you'd ever been in a Reliant Robin!

Edited by Chris S on 22/02/2008 at 12:35

>>Why is "sticking to the road" always supposed to be such a desirable attribute?

Mmm, it's the wheels that stick to the road, not the car, isn't it.

If the wheels don't stick, then the car wastes a lot of power just spinning the wheels.

Cars upside down on a transporter - oldnotbold
"Why is "sticking to the road" always supposed to be such a desirable attribute?"

You've clearly never driven a high-powered RWD car on a greasy road!

Edited by oldnotbold on 22/02/2008 at 14:01

>>If the wheels don't stick, then the car wastes a lot of power just spinning the wheels.

Surely if the tyres stuck to the road , there would be no movement at all? Woops, don't want to give Ken any ideas now...
Cars upside down on a transporter - scotmech
About 2 months I saw a transporter with (If I remember correctly) all silver Audi's ... upside down and sitting normally on top ... It looked very neat and tidy ...

This was in Dundee coming from the Aberdeen direction and heading towards Perth ...
(If I remember correctly) all silver Audi's

I bet you any money they weren't...
Cars upside down on a transporter - rtj70
"all silver Audi's "

Are you sure they were Audi's as Subaru do have this ad thing going on with some bolted to the bottom of the top level of the transporter (engine and transmission removed) and I think they are silver.

Edited by rtj70 on 22/02/2008 at 17:00

>>Surely if the tyres stuck to the road , there would be no movement at all?

Reductio ad absurdum if the tyres have zero grip then they spin perfectly and the car goes nowhere. Therefore if they have perfect grip at the point of contact there is maximum efficiency.

Obviously they have to release at the point where they are about to be lifted.

Cars upside down on a transporter - normd2
does this mean an illegally parked Subaru can't be impounded...?

just heading to the cloakroom...:)
Cars upside down on a transporter - frazerjp
Yesterday whilst on the M25 I passed a car transporter where a brand new car on the top deck (AFAICR a Skoda Fabia) had it's reversing light on!
Cars upside down on a transporter - Nsar
Cars upside down.

Batmobiles?
Subaru stunt and a couple of other car marketing stunts shown here

A quick read suggests that there aren't any rude words on this page.

tinyurl.com/ythl7s

Cars upside down on a transporter - drivewell
Can someone simply answer the question.

At least two of the posters on this thread have now seen cars on a transporter being transported up side down.

How, and why, is this done?

Is it a Subaru marketing stunt - ie., the transporter exists with the cars fixed as one of the posters suggests, and drives around from dealer to dealer. One poster thinks he saw Audis- could a new Impreza hatch be mistaken for an A3?

Edited by drivewell on 22/02/2008 at 19:22

Cars upside down on a transporter - scotmech
Yes ... That is the same transporter that I saw in Dundee ... I knew they were all silver but maybe not Audi's ... It looked strange ... they were all neat and tidy ... exactly under the one on the top ... come to think of it now it was probably an advertising stunt ...

Try googling 'Mornington Crescent'
Cars upside down on a transporter - rtj70
"Can someone simply answer the question."

I thought it had - it sounded like they'd seen the Subaru marketing truck with cars bolted to the bottom of the transporter which is part of the Subaglue marketing campaign.

Try looking at the pictures here: tinyurl.com/39t9ab
>>Can someone simply answer the question<<

I did in the post you've just replied to. Click the link in my posting and also in others above mine.

It had already been answered - with proving links - at least 2 times when you posted this. You can't expect to find the answer if you don't actually read the responses.