What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2000 'W' 1.8 Zetec Gear Stick Re-Alignment - gojones
I'm looking to buy a 'W' reg 1.8 Zetec with 86,000 miles and have noticed that when you push the gear stick to the left when in the neutral position it doesn't spring back to the middle, is this a sign of a problem with the gear box?

Thanks
2000 'W' 1.8 Zetec Gear Stick Re-Alignment - injection doc
No problem with gear box!, it needs a new spring fitted at the bottom of the gear lever. 10 min job & spings a couple of quid & dealers keep em in stock.
Inj Doc
2000 'W' 1.8 Zetec Gear Stick Re-Alignment - gojones
Thanks for your quick answer, good news it's only a small job.
Cheers
gojones
2000 'W' 1.8 Zetec Gear Stick Re-Alignment - kestrel
It could be just a broken return spring,i'm having the same problem .There was a thread not so long ago on how to fit a new spring but i can't find it with a forum search.As i recall it requires a £3 spring and 15 minutes labour.Ford main dealer quoted me £60.

2000 'W' 1.8 Zetec Gear Stick Re-Alignment - Pugugly {P}
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=35557&...7

Obviously "not so long ago" is a relative term - found it for you under a 2005 posting ! What a good memory you have.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 17/02/2008 at 18:03

2000 'W' 1.8 Zetec Gear Stick Re-Alignment - kestrel

Many thanks Pugugly but clicking on the url brings up a message that says the web page can not be found.I am not a technophobe but am a bit of a computer dinosaur any idea why i can not access the post.
2000 'W' 1.8 Zetec Gear Stick Re-Alignment - Dynamic Dave
Worked ok for me just now. Try the slightly shorter version to see if the same problem occurs.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=35557