What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
93 1.1 Exhaust system - Petel
Hello to all.
Am about to replace the entire exhaust system on a 93 1.1 Fiesta. Before fitting it, would wish to ask if anyone has any recommendations as to what I can do to prevent the new tailpipe rusting up.

Is there some chemical or treatment that I can dip the tailpipe into ( brush on or spray in ) whilst it is still fresh, something which will either counteract the effect of sulpher etc or at least delay the onset of the usual corrosion?

Thank you.

Seeing that its not all obvious that we ask you (like three times) to put the engine and model year in the subjec line, I've done it for you

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 17/02/2008 at 09:59

Exhaust system - doctorchris
If your car was newer and you planned to keep it for a while I would suggest a stainless steel system but not worth it for you.
Nothing you can do about corrosion because comes from inside the system. Avoid lots of short journies with a cold engine to prolong life of exhaust.
Exhaust system - oilrag
To be honest Pete, i don`t think its going to work, you could apply high temperature manifold paint, but if you`re that keen to make one last i think it would be better to find a stainless system or have one made up.
You might get the actual 6 inches of the tailpipe to last longer with the attention you propose but I always found systems rusted out from the inside.
Nevertheless still worth hosing off the exterior of systems off now and then rather than have road salt sitting on top of the boxes. Cold running has the insides streaming with corrosive elements as you know.
Regards

Edited by oilrag on 17/02/2008 at 09:16

Exhaust system - oilrag
Just to add, there are some stainless Fiesta back boxes on Ebay under £40
Exhaust system - yorkiebar
Each gallon (sorry for old terms! not!) used there is approx 1 pint of water produced into exhaust system.

If exhaust doesnt get hot enough to evaporate this water it will sit inside (and eventually ) eat its way through.

To stop it happening the exhaust needs to be hot all way through (long trips)

If it is exterior corrosion of tail pipe then VHT paint is a possibility but unlikely that it is worth the effort imo.
Exhaust system - Petel
Thank you all for your replies.
Regards.
Exhaust system - bathtub tom
Clean the outside of the pipe with white spirit, and put whatever old paint you can find knocking around on it. If it gets hot enough to burn it off, then it'll be hot enough to keep moisture at bay. If it doesn't burn off the paint, then you may have prevented it rotting from the outside.

This method certainly increased the life of the tail section of a car I used to have - I'm almost too embarrassed to admit it was a Maestro!
>>Each gallon (sorry for old terms! not!) used there is approx 1 pint of water produced into exhaust system.

I understood each unit of fuel resulted in ten times that amount of water going down the exhaust, due to water vapour in the air.
Exhaust system - Xena
I suppose 1 pint of water produces a lot of water vapour - liquid into steam?
An internal combustion engine sucks in an enormous amount of air for every gallon of fuel it consumes:
Say 3000 RPM in top gear equates to 30MPG at 60MPH for a one litre car. Thats one gallon of fuel in thirty minutes = 3000x30x0.5(assume four-stroke) = 45000 litres of air approx. Now how much water vapour do you think is going to be in that air?