What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2001 1.8 Zetec - Poor Fuel Economy - Garry,H
Help! My Focus is only delivering 23-25 mls per gallon on a run and some town work,115,000 mls, new plugs, leads, air filter, replaced so far. Would new injectors help or is this normal MPG, in the real world,for this model? No problems with performance, doesn't use oil, any ideas, experiences welcome!

Edited by Webmaster on 10/02/2008 at 12:15

Poor Fuel Economy, 1.8 Zetec,2001 - timp
I had a Focus 1.8 Zetec for 4 years and averaged 35mpg over that time.

The worst I got was 25mpg - for short journeys (less than 10 miles) in the winter.

The best I achieved was 41mpg - for long journeys in the summer without the air conditioning on much of the time.

These measurements were obtained by recording the distance traveled and the amount of fuel required to fill the tank.

Digressing a little, but may be interesting: but I now have a Golf 1.6 FSI which has averaged 42mpg over the last 2 years with a minimum of 35mpg and a maximum of 45mpg (again calculated from distance traveled and amount of fuel in the tank, but the onboard computer gives the same answer).

Tim
Poor Fuel Economy, 1.8 Zetec,2001 - Garry,H
Thanks Tim, I would have thought 35 mpg would have been about right, so I do have a problem then.My mileage is calculated in the same way. Garry.
Poor Fuel Economy, 1.8 Zetec,2001 - agrb
hello, I have exactly the same model and year (ghia) done 128000 k and never obtained less than 33/35 mpg. You do appear to have a problem unless your style of driving is radically different!! also seems to be nearer 40 on a reasonable run.
2001 1.8 Zetec - Poor Fuel Economy - mfarrow
Have a listen out to the engine when driving along with the window open. If it's 'pinking' when you apply the accelerator, this may indicate over-fuelling.
2001 1.8 Zetec - Poor Fuel Economy - ChicksFan
Whoops, see next post below

Edited by ChicksFan on 10/02/2008 at 17:05

2001 1.8 Zetec - Poor Fuel Economy - ChicksFan
I know you say there are no problems with performance but could there be any brakes binding, or the handbrake not releasing properly?
2001 1.8 Zetec - Poor Fuel Economy - Screwloose
Garry

Getting an expert to plug it in and look at the live-data might show something amiss.
2001 1.8 Zetec - Poor Fuel Economy - AlastairW
Hi, I have a Focus Ghia 1.8, 2000 model, and my average mpg over the last 3 years, measured brim to brim, is 26 mpg. On a diet of town use it has dropped as low as 19.5 mpg for single tank (short trips only, rarely more than 30 minutes), but on a long run has made almost 37 mpg.
I submit that it it is the op's driving style and car use that is restricting his mpg.
2001 1.8 Zetec - Poor Fuel Economy - TurboD
That is worse than my 2l mondeo, something must be wrong?, unless you floor it and then brake hard for corners/lights etc.
Presumably you have just bought it and finding its economy, or lack of.
Has it a proper service history?, may never have been serviced since new?
2001 1.8 Zetec - Poor Fuel Economy - trevoryz426
A diesel car wil give you better economy KEEP IT GREEN