What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2001 1.6 - gear oil change advice! - telecaster
Advice needed on changing gearbox oil (manual) on stated car.

I take it there is a drain plug and a filler plug.....anyone know the location of these?

Also what type of oil to use(am guessing at fully synth) and box capacity?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Webmaster on 10/02/2008 at 12:15

Anyone??????????? Am thinking Dextron 3 or something like that , want to be sure tho!
2001 1.6 - gear oil change advice! - quizman
I think you need Castrol SMX-S 75W-85, I don't think you should use ATF in a manual box.
You could also use Redline MTL gearbox fluid.
You can get the Castrol from Halfords, or either from Opie oils (opieoils.co.uk).

This gearbox oil is a mystery, they don't tell you what to use in a VW either.
2001 1.6 - gear oil change advice! - maltrap
somewhere like halfords should be able to tell you what you need and supply it.i don't think you use synthetic oil in a gearbox and surely not atf. if they've got a service centre there they might be able to tell you where the drain and filler plug is,or a haynes manual.
Appreciate the replies lads...Halfords for me tomm so!
2001 1.6 - gear oil change advice! - Rover25
According to the on line Castrol applications guide:

Ford Focus 1.6 (Zetec) Petrol 1998-2005

Manual Transmission: Castrol SMX-S (2.3 litres)

Castrol SMX-S is a fully synthetic SAE 75w-85 gear oil.

2001 1.6 - gear oil change advice! - quizman
That's exactly what I said, so it must be right.
2001 1.6 - gear oil change advice! - jc2
Be warned that Ford use two different FWD g/boxes which require different oils.One is the iB5(B5) and the other is the MTX 75..The b5 has no locking device for reverse on the g/lever whilst the MTX uses a lift-up device below the g/knob before you can select reverse.
Well if that is correct JC my box is the B5........any idea what oil I need?
2001 1.6 - gear oil change advice! - Pete Mansell
I always thought there was no drain plug on this gearbox, so not easy to change the oil.
2001 1.6 - gear oil change advice! - mfarrow
I always thought there was no drain plug on this gearbox so not easy to
change the oil.

There isn't. There's a bolt for the detent mechanism near the bottom but this may be inaccessible.

I've drained about half from a BC 'box (the predecessor, looks the same) using a piece of tube with a stiff wire inside it, angled into the filler plug hole.
2001 1.6 - gear oil change advice! - Collos25
Being careful not to overfill it as this can cause severe damage as in 6 speed renault and nissan boxes where overfilling can be pretty fatal they use auto fluid by the way.If there is no drain plug its pretty much telling you don't try and drain.