Simplest to service new small petrol engine? - oilrag
Got into a conversation about small petrol engines and what would be the simplest to service, an engine with hydraulic tappets, chain cam and not with wet liners or known weaknesses.

I realised at that point that i knew nothing as I have been diesel focussed for 17 years.

I remember an old 1.3 Polo that just seemed to need oil, filters and plugs at about that time, but what`s its contemporary?

We discussed the small Japanese engines and these seem to need tappet adjustment.

How about the smallest petrol engines from Ford, Vauxhall and VW? for simplicity of home servicing and reliability?

What are the reasons (re servicing ease) for your choice?

(Car factors excluded, just the engine and its ease of servicing at home and its reliability)

Regards

Edited by oilrag on 07/02/2008 at 16:40

Simplest to service new small petrol engine? - Jase
I'm no mechanic, but would like to offer up for the purpose of discussion the engine in my 1998 Corsa. It's the 1.2 8V asthmatic model. That must be pretty basic. Apologies if too old to be considered.
Simplest to service new small petrol engine? - gordonbennet
Well Oilrag, methinks as we are deafened by the silence on this subject that buyers of small petrol engined cars dont do any of their own servicing so i'd hazard a guess that its unknown.

Should imagine if you'd asked the same 30 or so years ago, there'd have been hundreds of replies from us poor young things, maybe modern buyers are much better off than we were, or have vehicles become so complicated that many are put off even changing oils etc.

Maybe its only the likes of us daft blighters that actually do any preventative maintenance now.

Do normal people service their cars anymore for the right reasons, or is it now purely to get the stamp in the book for resale purpose.
Simplest to service new small petrol engine? - DP
I've done the last couple of services on my mum's StreetKa, and that engine is pretty straightforward to work on, at least for routine stuff.
Oil filter, sump drain plug, spark plugs and air filter are all easily accessible. No silly plastic covers to deal with - all the mechanical bits are proudly on show. The thermostat was a bit awkward, but that's more the installation in the car itself. Fuel filter tucked away at the back near the fuel tank. It's a good old fashioned iron block SOHC 8v unit, with a chain driven cam. About as basic as modern engines get.

Cheers
DP
Simplest to service new small petrol engine? - Number_Cruncher
I can second the suggestion of the Vauxhall 8 valve unit. It's simplicity was one of the big reasons which led us to get one as SWMBO's transport. While we had a 16v Astra, the worry of timing belt failure, and general engine trouble kept me from sleeping.

Engines have never needed less working on - oil can stay in for 20,000 on long life regimes, plugs can last 40,000.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that most engines run either until the car's scrapped, or throughout most of the car's life without needing anything more than routine servicing - it's quite boring really! When I was a kid, my father would usualy have at least three engines on benches in various stages of being reconditioned. Now, engine work is a rarity. Last year, I helped fit a flywheel ring gear on an old transit camper van - I had almost forgotten how to heat the gear up and shrink it on.
Simplest to service new small petrol engine? - Kevin
>plugs can last 40,000.

Longer than that.

The replacement interval for plugs in my LT1 Chevy is 100k miles. They are on about 60k so far with no problem (touches wood and crosses himself). It's quite a job to change them so I hope they do last 100k.

The plugs on my Jag are changed at the 70k service in the UK but at 100k in the US.

Kevin...
Simplest to service new small petrol engine? - billy25
Ah! would have replied to this earlier! - but header stated "new" small petrol engine.

Surely, the simplest petrol engine must belong to "Seagull" outboards! - about 5 moving parts! and that includes the detachable plug-cap and lead!!!

Billy
Simplest to service new small petrol engine? - doctorchris
We have a 1997 899cc Fiat Cinquecento in our garage, waiting for my son to pass his test. It has a pushrod engine with hydraulic tappets that needs nothing more than oil, filters and plug replacement. Must be a contender for simplest to service. Oh, and though a small car, everything is beautifully accessible.
"Maybe its only the likes of us daft blighters that actually do any preventative maintenance now."
Gordonbennet, I agree..........

For certain, I know I`m seen as eccentric by SWMBO`s female friends for going under and brushing waterproof grease on the subframes and abandoning the third year warranty so no one else (apprentice) touches the engine...
A couple of mates are the same though and (for example) won`t buy a wet liner engine due to old memories.

On a practical point though, I`m finding the servicing easier than 40 years ago, just careful with engine choice.

I know someone from school who gave up with modern cars, he re-built a motor bike from the era of our 60`s youth. he`s in total control of it and no one else goes near it regarding repair and servicing.

In memory, you reach out and can almost touch that...but it feels much colder out there than it used to aged 16 ;)

Regards

Edited by oilrag on 08/02/2008 at 07:55

Simplest to service new small petrol engine? - pmh
>but it feels much colder out there than it used to aged 16 >

Interesting, I find it seems much warmer! However the ground seems much further away, and I have finally understood the saying, ' when I am down there, I look for other things to do!'

But can I fully recommend having a pit, it has easily paid for itself over the last 18 years, in exhaust systems alone.

Before you accept the suggestion of the Ka engine , make sure you research the seized plug issue! You may save the necessary hours on routine servicing only to spend them on the simple task of trying to change one plug.

Simplest to service new small petrol engine? - jc2
Don't confuse the the old Ka OHV which was simple with the modern Ka engine which is also simple and has a chain cam OHC and hydraulic tappets and roller cam followers.
Thanks to everyone for the information and advice.

Billy, I used to have a British Seagull, was it around 12 to 1 fuel mix? in the late 60`s.
Never failed to start, which on more than one occasion was very fortunate fishing off Flamborough Head.

Any follow on from the 998 Seicento engine? for a camchain and hydraulic tappet design?I guess that power unit got left behind by increases in weight when the Panda was introduced.

That Ford cast iron head and block really appeals too, but I guess the modern taste is not too concerned about such robustness of design.

As I said to another dealer principal a while back (when he said one of his models had an non interference head) "does it have a long stroke engine then" I think from his expression his customers were more into bluetooth.

But did ease of servicing ever really drive sales? Interesting that Fiat make an issue of it with the 1.3 Multijet diesel, but the current crop of petrol engines do not seem to.

A current production petrol engine then, with the same philosophy of design?

Interesting to see the new 2 cylinder petrol engine about to be introduced by Fiat. But it seems its a cambelt design...

(Again, this is just *interest* following a conversation I had recently on easy to service petrol, as I prefer diesel myself)

Regards

Edited by oilrag on 08/02/2008 at 19:55

Simplest to service new small petrol engine? - Number_Cruncher
>>ever really drive sales?

IMO, never in any significant numbers. Branding, style, fashion and image sell many more. Manufacturers setting out with a new model to please the regulars of the backroom would have a very lean time of it!

Simplest to service new small petrol engine? - Kevin
>Manufacturers setting out with a new model to please the regulars of the backroom..

Jeez, I wonder what the spec of that would look like!

Kevin...
Simplest to service new small petrol engine? - gordonbennet
>Manufacturers setting out with a new model to please the regulars of the backroom..
Jeez I wonder what the spec of that would look like! Good thought Kevin.

Oilrag......methinks this could be a good thread idea, some bizzare looking contraption no doubt but...

Think you may be right NC, they wouldn't make a lot of lolly from the regs here, and i bet we'd still moan if the exhaust lasted 20 years.