2001 1.6 Zetec s - Flushing/changing coolant - telecaster
Can someone give me the correct procedure for flushing and refilling the coolant on said car?

I intend to refill with long life coolant(red stuff) so want to make sure the current blue coolant is completely gone from system.....also is there a drain plug on the engine block.....or is it done through rad drain cock?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/02/2008 at 12:45

Flushing/changing coolant on focus 1.6 Zetec s2001 - Screwloose
telecaster

If there's one year/vehicle/engine combo not to drain water out of - it's that one. Ford have loads of TSBs out on air-lock problems - even a modification kit of hoses.

It's a very good idea to change the coolant; but these are such a nightmare to bleed afterwards, that I'd recommend that you leave it to a pro - who MUST have vacuum refilling equipment.
Flushing/changing coolant on focus 1.6 Zetec s2001 - telecaster
****.....................Too late S......have already drained it..........

Coolant in expansion bottle was a filthy brown color and temp gauge was reading a wee bit high.....should have posted here before I started.

Am I IN FOR A HEADACHE?
Flushing/changing coolant on focus 1.6 Zetec s2001 - jc2
Blue???should have had ten-year coolant(OAT)-usually orange.Sounds like someone had problems and filled with cheapo!
Flushing/changing coolant on focus 1.6 Zetec s2001 - Screwloose

Are you in for a headache? Oh, yes....

Still; what's done etc.... If it was that brown; you may as well use a flush [or two] before risking the good stuff.

If you can't get circulation; gently release the hose clips [engine only warm] to allow air to bubble free from wherever you think it's trapped.

Check the spark-plug wells/HT leads for rusty water stains.
Flushing/changing coolant on focus 1.6 Zetec s2001 - Galaxy
Ford long life antifreeze (OAT) is no longer red, it's now a sort of purple colour.

Flushing/changing coolant on focus 1.6 Zetec s2001 - telecaster
You weren't kidding either Screwloose.

After a lot of squeezing and and cursing .....I think it's air free.

Got a bit hairy at one stage when one of the hoses started shaking and wobbling.

Why is there so many hoses btw on this system!!!!!!

Anyway, coolant is staying put this time!

Much obliged.
Flushing/changing coolant on focus 1.6 Zetec s2001 - siddeni
Help!! telecaster, screwloose, if anyone still checking this thread.

Have similar problem with my focus 1.6, 2000, all started with the cooleant change last summer, it started overheating but only at higher speed. Air lock most probably. Mechanic changed the thermostat and water pump, but finally (I think) he removed the middle out of the thermostat and it solved the overheating problem but then started overcooling. After few month took to a new mechanic and he said that the middle of the thermostat was missing, and replaced the thermostat with new one. Now the car is back to overheating again, only at high speed in the moterway though. I think it is a air lock problem, since I can hear some air bubbles moving sound in the colling system (when I press the accelarator). Do not know how to bleed it correctely. Any advice please, which hose to squeeze and what to do?? Looks like, today's mechanics do not have time to correctely bleed the system (or they don't know this car requires proper bleeding), they simply fill it with cooleant and finished.

I may need to start the new thread if no one is checking this forum.
Flushing/changing coolant on focus 1.6 Zetec s2001 - siddeni
Further to above, the temperature gauge does not stay at one place while driving at high speed, it is erratic, goes towards the red and comes down (but never had it completely on the red)