What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Discovery 3 vs. Ford Galaxy - familycar
Hi
I need to change my car to something which will accommodate 3 children who require a booster seat, a toddler seat and a baby seat. Having trawled round many models, the decision is now between the LR Discovery and the Galaxy (new model). I am struggling to decide between these. I do not really need the 4x4 capacity (the worst it will see is some wet grass on a campsite or such) but I like the car a lot. The Galaxy is probably more sensible, but just does not appeal to me as much as the Discovery. Can anyone offer me any insight into what owning either of these cars is like? This would be our only car, as my husband cannot drive, so it has to be able both to drive around town and drag all the kit 3 little people need for holidays.
Thanks for your help

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 31/01/2008 at 01:10

Discovery 3 vs. Ford Galaxy - Alby Back
What would you like the answer to be ? I always say that if you can afford it you should buy the one you like. After all, cars can mean more than just transport. However, if it is down to arithmetic the Galaxy will probably prove the more cost effective and as an aside, would feel more nimble and "car like" to drive. Both, as you have already identified, would accomodate the family in comfort. If you are at peace with the cost side, I guess you just have to decide if you are "heart" people or "head" people. Why not see if you can get a decent test drive in both ?
Discovery 3 vs. Ford Galaxy - cjehuk
Heart - Discovery

Head - Galaxy

Overall I'd pick the Discovery, simply because while ultimately it might cost more to buy and run, it has more character and I couldn't enjoy driving a car I bought solely because of economics, I'd rather buy a used Discovery than a new Galaxy because the Galaxy has (in my eyes) little personality and character, it's more of a white good.
Discovery 3 vs. Ford Galaxy - cheddar
The Galaxy would be better to drive on any surface on the civilised side of a farm track.

How about a Ford S-Max, only slightly less space than a Galaxy, based on the same floor plan though is available with the 220ps 5 cylinder 2.5T engine and handles really well, much more fun to drive than any Discovery.
Discovery 3 vs. Ford Galaxy - jc2
Secondhand 4wd Galaxy-not common,most were VW badged.
Discovery 3 vs. Ford Galaxy - a900ss
I know I'm biased (I have a S-Max) but I would certainly taqke a look at the S-Max as it may be the perfect car in between the Galaxy and the Disco.

The S-Max is easily big enough for 2 adults and 3 kids plus all the gear that goes with them but it looks considerably more stylish than the Galaxy. Stick big wheels on it (like I have) and in a dark colour it does look rather good. I even get postive comments from some of our snob friends who wouldn't be seen dead in a Ford.

If you won't take it off road, the S-Max (and Galaxy) will run rings around a Disco on the road, it is a very good handling car. As cheddar says, get a 2.5 petrol version and it's quite quick as well. If you want to go down the diesel route, Ford will start selling the 2.2 diesel in March (slightly more powerful than the current 2.0 diesel).

At the end of the day, you need to get down the showrooms, have a good play with all the cars and then drive them.

Good luck.
Discovery 3 vs. Ford Galaxy - Alby Back
Yes - thinking about it again. S-max would be a great choice.