What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
'98 - Diesel Primer Advise please - peanuts
In fuel-line sensor? removed following primer replacement - (1) is this dangerous? (2) will it effect my NCT? (Vehicle Roadworthy Test)

Full story attached:

[Had this estate car from new so I know a little about its service history. From the first time I got it serviced I had primer trouble shortly after. The primer last about 5 fuel filter changes. I even replaced the previous filter myself. Last time I left it into my mechanic following his recent service knowing in my soul that the primer was giving trouble again. The problem of starting persisted so I lifted the bonnet and I noticed that the primer (for which I had been charged) had not been replaced. Giving him the benefit of the doubt when he said it was a 2nd hand primer I went about locally to purchase a new primer but all they had in stock was a separate fuel filter & hand primer. These he replaced without charge. But now I noticed that the box that was in line with the fuel line with an electrical connection has been removed. I'm only presuming that it is a fuel rail pressure sensor. What is it's function and is it dangerous to have it removed?]

Regards from newcomer
Peanuts.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/01/2008 at 12:36

'98 - Diesel Primer Advise please - Screwloose
peanuts

Fuel-rail pressure sensor? Nothing so troublesome on these - thank goodness.

The black box is the fuel heater - why has it been removed? They're on quick-release connexions - what bodgery has he done?

As you say; the primers will need changing about every 5 filters - that's 120,000 miles, so not really too bad for a fairly cheap part.

'98 - Diesel Primer Advise please - peanuts
Thanks Screwloose,

the car appears to be running fine; perhaps better (except recently when I tried to overtake going up an incline, but then it is a diesel and getting on!) starts no problem, so the fuel heater is important because...?

Should I ask him to put it back? If memory serves me I think it was in-line before the the fuel filter, does that make sense? Wouldn't the fuel have cold down after exiting the fuel filter?

Perhaps I'm mistaken.

Regards

Peanuts.
'98 - Diesel Primer Advise please - Screwloose

It was there for a reason - maybe there was a waxing problem in the filter pipes exposed to the airflow.

I still can't think why he took it off?