What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Import part ex values. - DavyGrolton
I have an old-style Ford Focus 1.6 Ghia which I bought as an unregistered import from Motorpoint in 2005 - it is registered on an 05 plate.
I recently went to my local Ford dealer to test drive a new Mondeo.
When enquiring about my car as a part-ex I was offered £4400 for it & the salesman told me that if it was a UK car I would have been offered £5200 & that this is standard for imports.
Can anyone tell me if this is true or was the salesman pulling a fast one?
Sorry if this has been asked before but this is my 1st post on the forum.
Greetings all !!

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 23/01/2008 at 16:20

Imports - Aprilia
The salesman can value a car anyhow he wants. As a rule UK dealers are keen to discourage parallel imports and therefore will offer a lower valuation as a point of principle. Other dealers may offer other amounts. I'm guessing you saved more that £800 at the time of purchase - so you are still ahead....
Imports - adverse camber
I'd be saying something like,

'Oh that's a shame. But I see that I can still get an import/broker deal cheaper than the car I'm looking at here. Thanks for encouraging me to look at that, I'll save quite a bit.'

Edited by adverse camber on 23/01/2008 at 09:12

Imports - EoinM
If your car is to exact UK spec you may be able to use this as leverage to try and get him to improve the offer. If the car is a different spec it may be more difficult for the dealer to sell and as a reult could be left sitting on their forecourt for quite a while all the time losing value. Otherwise sell privately and buy from a broker?
Imports - daveyjp
Or just go back to Motorpoint and do a deal there.
Imports - DP
I agree with Adverse Camber

"And if you were a broker, you'd be selling me an identical car for £x,000 less, so what can you do for me?" would be my natural response to his comment about your PX value.

Cheers
DP