Is FIAT, seemingly about to drop the baton? - oilrag
I mentioned this before, but now Caledonia.................

So what`s the situation for Fiat now that Caledonia have gone into receivership?
A while back, Pendragon also dropped Fiat seemingly, when they bought Reg Vardy.

www.motortrader.com/26497/Caledonia-Motor-Group-go...l

It seems Perry`s in Huddersfield and Sunwin in Bradford are no longer Fiat.
Was it DC Cook in Barnsley that were once Fiat? and thats just the North..

I feel sorry for the staff.

Surely though these are not just Fiat HQ taking out Dealers that do not meet their criteria for quality?

I`ve heard of passing the baton, but what happens when there`s no one within reach to take it?

Regards

Edited by Honestjohn on 20/01/2008 at 18:09

Are Fiat, seemingly about to drop the baton? - Aprilia
How many cars are FIAT selling in the UK? Not enough to keep their dealers afloat...
Are Fiat, seemingly about to drop the baton? - carl_a
Don't see why there would be any problems, Fiat are back on the up after a big slump. I'd be more worred for Renault, with the 10% sales decline they suffered last year!
FIAT have a new man in charge in the UK since last October and sales have increased in 2007 - but from a very low base.
The problem for dealers is that they have essentially a 2-car range from Monday (Grand Punto and 500). 500 looks expensive (starts at around £8k) which is a lot for what it is - I think its built in the same Polish factory as the Cinqcento and Siecento were - so quality could be dodgy. either things will take off and it will do OK, or there will be good initial sales, followed by lots of pre-regs and 0% finance offers - the usual FIAT pattern in other words.
By and large dealers are not good and parts supply is poor.
Are Fiat, seemingly about to drop the baton? - Manatee
The problem for dealers is that they have essentially a 2-car range from Monday (Grand
Punto and 500).

Have I missed something Aprilia, or are you just saying that the rest of the range is immaterial?
Have I missed something Aprilia or are you just saying that the rest of the
range is immaterial?

I'm saying that only these cars are likely to sell in any sensible numbers. I see a GP now and then. Can't say I've seen a late model Panda, Brava or Sedici on the road.
Are Fiat, seemingly about to drop the baton? - doctorchris
The Panda sells well here in the North East, well we've got 2 in our household. The build quality on them is bullet-proof as far as I can make out. OK, they are simple and relatively unsophisticated but the design is well thought out and executed and they are simple to work on. In comparison, my daughter has bought a new Corsa and although it has all the gimmicks there's a lot to go wrong and I suspect repairs will be tricky and expensive.
Are Fiat, seemingly about to drop the baton? - oilrag
We have had a succession of Fiats and our two current Punto`s have been reliable.

Its the shape of the support system rather than the cars themselves that concerns me though as we have had so many dealerships close around here.

It seems to me that protecting the `name` is a pre-requisite for any business though, in particular when there have been problems in the past.
Surely to maintain customer confidence in the `name` (On the eve of a new model launch) you would do anything possible to stop it being associated with franchise closures and receivership?

If you could, you would, surely.
You would buy out the dealerships and run them directly to give customer confidence.
But if you don`t, (or can`t) what sort of message does that give to people considering the 500, but also wondering whether to wait for the new Ford KA later in the year.

I think its a real shame because Fiats seem better than other low price competitors.
Galvanising across the range, the jewel of the 1.3 Multijet on a cam chain and hydraulic tappets,
(how many other marques don`t even galvanise?)

At the back of my mind though is a statement from a previous CEO that, allegedly, they could pull out of the UK if the Grande Punto did not do well.
(If that was not doing a so called, Gerald Ratner, what is?)

So which comes first, chicken or egg? because surely confidence in the Marque is a pre-requisite for increased sales.... but if you allow the terms, `closure` and `receivership` to seemingly be paired with the launch of your new model.....

Guess I just don`t understand business models, because there must be something I am missing.

Regards

Edited by oilrag on 20/01/2008 at 07:54

Are Fiat, seemingly about to drop the baton? - jmaccyd
My local Fiat dealership, in Herford, has also just gone into receivership this week
Are Fiat, seemingly about to drop the baton? - pmh
Have the Citroen dealership on the same site also gone? (I am assuming that it is the 'Ware' Rd just before the A10 bridge?)

Edited by pmh on 20/01/2008 at 09:35

Are Fiat, seemingly about to drop the baton? - adverse camber
quite a few pandas around me. (Harrogate/Ripon). I thought they look interesting - I'd consider one for my OH to run around in. Especially at a little over £5K
FIAT UK has a surprise new MD Andrew Humbertson a Brit who spent a lot
of his childhood in South Africa and much of his adulthood running prestige car multi
franchise operations in Gulf states.

So how does this experience fit in with selling low numbers of niche small cars in UK? - I'm sure he's a great chap though!
FIAT is going to sell
out of its 18 000 UK allocation of 500s this year and that's going to
bring it a lot of attention.

I'm sure its a good car, but there is nothing to suggest it will sell well in UK. It has so far sold well in Italy and France - but then so does the Panda - UK is a different market. UK pricing is rather high - the attractive models start at the best part of £10k, which is a lot for an A-segment car. Also the 'old' 500 was not an icon in the same way that, say, the Mini was, so I'm not sure it will engender the same affection in potential buyers. Cars like this, at this price level, rely a lot on 'emotion' to sell. The GP was supposed to be a wonderful car that would do great things for FIAT sales in the UK, but it hasn't sold well.
I wish FIAT well with the 500, maybe they will finally make some money out of the UK market...
Are Fiat, seemingly about to drop the baton? - Altea Ego
Although I dont have a fiat dealer for miles, the Grand Punto seems to live in fairly large numbers round here. ( I can see why its a very clean good looking car, but its fair to say this is a lemoncello from Waitrose area) I want the nuovo 500 to do so well, because the sheer chic style of it deserves to.

Are Fiat, seemingly about to drop the baton? - borasport20
but its fair to say this is a lemoncello from Waitrose area

can we hace a translation please ?

Limoncello [limon'tʃɛlːo] is a lemon liqueur produced in Southern Italy, mainly in the region around the Gulf of Naples and the coast of Amalfi and islands of Procida, Ischia and Capri, but also in Sicily, Sardinia, Menton in France and the Maltese island of Gozo. It is made from lemon rinds, alcohol, water, and sugar. It is bright yellow in color, sweet and lemony, but not sour since it contains no lemon juice.

Translation, its a posh area, where people buy ther food in M&S and Waitrose, (and expect to be able to buy Limoncello from there) where BMWs are seen as common (except the X5 used only for the skool run) and you can end up sitting next to the rich and famous at your local Pizza Express.

The grande punto is chic and happily seen on the driveways of St Georges Hill for use by Tamsin and Gemma.
Are Fiat, seemingly about to drop the baton? - Pugugly {P}
So that does make a Landie (a proper one I mean) a sort of a Waitrose Worcester Sauce.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 20/01/2008 at 17:58

Yes its chic to turn up at Waitrose in country seat areas in your Landie. You need to be wearing your tweeds and barbour. The back of the landie needs to be full of springers and working lab retrievers (Not the fat ugly show types)
Are Fiat, seemingly about to drop the baton? - Alby Back
When I turn up anywhere in my six year old diesel Mondeo estate, I like to think that people will assume that I am rich and famous but a little eccentric and traveling incognito. Instead of the truth..............skint, put upon, downtrodden husk of my former..............................;-)

BTW, Does the above mean that my car would be one those own brand lagers you give to neighbours you don't like at Christmas soirees ?
Are Fiat, seemingly about to drop the baton? - jmaccyd
Yes the Ware Road site. Not sure about Citroen, I was due to test drive a Fiat and go and have a look at the new 500 and the salesman informed me that all test drives where cancelleed and no cars would be sold
Are Fiat, seemingly about to drop the baton? - v0n
(about 500) I think its built in the same Polish factory as the
Cinqcento and Siecento were - so quality could be dodgy.

To be fair Polish factory is renown of building most reliable Fiats - I don't think there are that many complaints about "dodgy quality" of Pandas rolling out from Tychy factory either, which is why Fiat decided to build their sales recovery milestone - the 500 - there...
vOn

The factory in Poland, Tychy (sp?), has had a very chequered history and some (very) considerable industrial relations problems. I think the Polish government (or local government) have a hand in running it. FIAT build cars there because it is very cheap.
Are Fiat, seemingly about to drop the baton? - oilrag
I too hope Fiat are successful with the 500.

I think the acid test though will be how fast they can respond to any build faults from the production line.
Allegedly, with the GP, they continued to come off the line for a long time with rack problems and even now there are continuing reports of water in boot double skins, which then cascades over the parcel shelf when the tailgate is opened.
There seems to have been some past attempts from possible sources within (Other Forum) dealerships, indicating that water in the double skin is `normal`.

It seems a great chance for better though if new customers are surfing in from other marques on an `emotional`buy, with the 500.

In my opinion though, an `emotional` purchaser is likely to be less fault tolerant than a pragmatic `appliance` purchaser.

I wish them well.

Regards
Are Fiat, seemingly about to drop the baton? - Avant
Whether or not the 500 will be good value will depend quite a lot on residuals. Fiats have traditionally been fast depreciators, for good reasons, but if demand is strong and it becomes something of a 'cult car' it might be an exception. If the market takes Aprilia's view, and it turns out to be nothing special, or unreliable, it'll be just another small Fiat.

Minis seem expensive in comparison, but buying on a PCP is well worth while. SWMBO's much-loved but low-mileage Mini One is 18 months old and it's still worth 80 % of what it cost. It's been on a 2-year PCP so she's ordered a Mini Cooper for March.
Are Fiat, seemingly about to drop the baton? - PR {P}
Don't worry about the 500, it is selling well over here. There is a waiting list of around 2 months currently. I was also informed #fiat have underestimated the number of people choosing expensive options, like leather, auto climate and larger loys. The waiting list for these is longer. Infact Fiat are currently considering additional production at an Italian site to cope with demand. Also Panda production has been scaled back to ensure 500 supply. (Got from my local dealership principal last week)

As for the rest of the range, my GF has a new Bravo and its a great car, very smart looking in Sport guise and very good value for money
Are Fiat, seemingly about to drop the baton? - autumnboy
Caledonia in Newport City. They did Citroens, from which the local papers say it was the jewel in the crown of the Group. ??

But again according to the paper they hope to start trading again shortly under new ownership in Newport. ??

So its not only Fiat who are effected.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 20/01/2008 at 17:25

Is FIAT, seemingly about to drop the baton? - rtj70
When the production ready 500 was first shown in magazines they speculated it would be close in price to the MINI. And of course it is a lot cheaper and has more kit. I know which I prefer too.

With this level of demand the residuals might be high to begin with but this is sure to change if supply is increased.
Is FIAT, seemingly about to drop the baton? - Aprilia
With this level of demand the residuals might be high to begin with but this
is sure to change if supply is increased.

What level of demand? We don't know what the UK demand is yet. FIAT already have 'orders' for the car, but strip out the demo models etc and how many does that really leave?

The 500 may well be a brilliant car - but FIATs track record in the UK is poor, although they sell well elsewhere in Europe.

I am interested that people compare the 500 with the Mini. I'm not sure you can do that. The Mini was an icon - and the new Mini was able to ride along on the BMW brand. So you had an iconic car which 'meant something' to many buyers ('my dad had one of the original ones') marketed by BMW with the promise of good residuals.
The old FIAT 500 meant very little to people in the UK and the FIAT brand in UK is very weak, with many negative associations.

Can you imagine the following scenario, "Daarling, I'm going to to buy you a new car for your birthday - what would you like, a Mini or a Fiat 500..?" No contest on that one, I think.

I showed my wife the 500 on the FIAT UK website, she reckoned it looks 'ugly'. When I said that it was retro-styled on the 'old 500' she didn't know what I was talking about. The retro style car she really likes the look of is the Nissan Figaro - but too old and too flimsy to consider.
Is FIAT, seemingly about to drop the baton? - Xileno {P}
I hope we don't now see other manufacturers jumping on this retro bandwagon. What will be next? A retro Allegro? Yuk. We should be looking forwards, not back.
"what will be next? A retro Allegro? Yuk."

I believe a new BMW Isetta is on the cards ;-)

I learned something the other week. One critiscm of the BMW Isetta was lack of reverse gear. It did have reverse apparently but people disabled it to allow drivers with bike licenses to drive ;-)

Edited by rtj70 on 20/01/2008 at 20:41

Interesting Aprilia...

"Can you imagine the following scenario, "Daarling, I'm going to to buy you a new car for your birthday - what would you like, a Mini or a Fiat 500..?" No contest on that one, I think."

My wife sayed the opposite. Showed her the 500 and she liked it. She liked the Mini until she travelled in one and found rear seats cramped and the interior design poor. Lucky we didn't buy her a BMW MINI back a few years ago thinking it would be great.
Is FIAT, seemingly about to drop the baton? - Altea Ego
My wife likes the look of the Fiat. Inside and out. 500 or mini? 500 for her.
Is FIAT, seemingly about to drop the baton? - Avant
I suspect the if people want a Mini or a 500, only one will do and the other won't.

SWMBO had a Fiat 131 estate (new) back in 1981 which we bought so she could do a school run. It let her down three times in its first and only year with us, and she still won't ever have another Fiat. Yes, I know they've improved since then, but she is deeply conservative!
"The old FIAT 500 meant very little to people in the UK and the FIAT brand in UK is very weak, with many negative associations."

Yes It seems like that to me.
Still can`t understand why Fiat let the Caledonia franchises go into receivership the same week almost as the 500`s launch.

Allegedly, there were accounts of transporters removing cars from the premises.
I wonder if they are not concerned by the consequences of being seen like that?

It hasn`t impressed SWMBO. I mean what use is *image for the car*, if the dealership image is linked with receivership at launch?

What are the factors that could cause that? Surely not money, to underpin the franchises or take them over at such a critical time.
Nor a failure of communication and awareness.
or that it just doesn`t matter and it will sell its self regardless.

`Dogbot` must be grinning from ear to ear...how long before the new KA?

Regards

I would think the launch of the FIAT built KA will be linked to demand for the FIAT 500 :-)

500/Ka are one and the same under the skin.
"500/Ka are one and the same under the skin."

Yes I know, a failed attempt at irony ;)

Sorry about that, I was trying to imply that Fiat may have a fixed window of opportunity, until the same car in effect arrives from Ford .

Edited by oilrag on 21/01/2008 at 08:41

"I wouldn't pay the huge premium for a MINI. But I will buy a 500."

Have just read your road test of the Fiat 500 HJ,

It seems from the tech data on the 1.3 Multijet Fiat 500 , that the torque of the engine has had to be reduced, even on the multijet `Sport`.

Same as on the Panda then (same base?) as compared to this power unit in bigger models such as the GP and Doblo. Presumably this is because the box on the 500 can`t take the standard torque of the engine? and because the box with the higher torque capacity won`t fit the engine bay.
Don`t know if there are any limitations that that gearbox imposes on clutch plate area, (and subsequent clutch life) compared with the gearboxes with the higher torque rating?

Does the 1.2 Petrol engine carry forward its alleged propensity for head gaskets going at around 30,000 miles?

If so, to me the winner all round is the 1.4 petrol as the car of choice.

Regards

Edited by oilrag on 21/01/2008 at 11:16