(2006-) 2.5 turbo - Wipers configured for LHD - smax_my...
My S-Max (2.5 turbo petrol titanium) wipers seem to be on the wrong way round, configured for left hand drive. The longer one is on the passenger side and sprays water onto the drivers side windscreen on return to its resting position.

Has anyone else come across this fault / design flaw?

Can it be remedied?

Thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/01/2008 at 12:15

(2006-) 2.5 turbo - Wipers configured for LHD - Bill Payer
On S-Max specifically, or on any car?

Many cars have their wipers optimised for LHD.
(2006-) 2.5 turbo - Wipers configured for LHD - jc2
All Fords upto now have,unlike many other makers,optimized for both RHD and LHD.Many makers build their cars for LHD and if they meet the minimum legal requirement for windscreen clearance for RHD don't make any changes for RHD vehicles unlike Ford who do.
(2006-) 2.5 turbo - Wipers configured for LHD - Ravenger
It's the same on the C-Max - the longer wiper is on the passenger side.
(2006-) 2.5 turbo - Wipers configured for LHD - DP
The Scenic wipers are set up for LHD, but the right hand wiper is driven via a rather elaborate looking eccentric linkage which allows it to leave a much smaller "unwiped" area in the top right corner of the screen than it otherwise would.

It works well. As long as my visibility isn't compromised, which it isn't, I really don't care.

Cheers
DP

(2006-) 2.5 turbo - Wipers configured for LHD - L'escargot
It isn't the relative lengths of the wiper blades which is important, it's the arc which is wiped. For RHD I would expect the blades to park towards the passenger side. Do they?
S-Max specifically
(2006-) 2.5 turbo - Wipers configured for LHD - a900ss
Your wipers are set up the correct way. All S-Maxs have their wipers set-up this way, it doesn't matter if they are LHD or RHD.

I know some people find it an issue, I personally do not. The wipers clear so much of the screen, I don't feel as if I'm left with any unswept area that is of any importance.

Don't forget, the longer wiper on the left is not designed for LHD/RHD practicailities, it's there to sweep the sensor for the auto wipers.

Edited by a900ss (S-Max) on 21/01/2008 at 08:04

Thanks. Sounds like its not a fault with my car, rather a design flaw.
My main issue is the splashing of water and arc-trail of water deposited on the drivers side by the returning longer wiper. This could have been preveneted by setting the wipers so that the longer one is on the drivers side. I know about the sensor.
Oh well, will have to get used to it!

(2006-) 2.5 turbo - Wipers configured for LHD - paulyoung666
my mk4 mondeo is setup for rhd :)
(2006-) 2.5 turbo - Wipers configured for LHD - a900ss
The big difference between the S-Max and 'normal' cars is that the S-Max has clapping wipers so it isn't as big an issue as when both wipers point to the offside as in a conventional LHD set-up which leaves a large piece of unswept glass to the drivers right.

(2006-) 2.5 turbo - Wipers configured for LHD - funky j man
I have just started driving my wifes 55 plate Honda Jazz and noticed that they were set for LHD! really annoyed me when i saw it. Seems incredible that they can do such a thing. I can't believe that the S-Max has the same issue... I was only looking at the forums as i've decided to buy a new 2.0 Diesel and wanted some real life views of them... typical!
(2006-) 2.5 turbo - Wipers configured for LHD - Bill Payer
I have just started driving my wifes 55 plate Honda Jazz and noticed that they
were set for LHD!

Well that's odd - our 53 plate Jazz's wipers are certainly set for RHD. It's also odd as the Jazz was originally designed for a RHD market (Japan).

The Honda web site picture shows them set for RHD too.

It's something I always look for as we had a seried II Clio whose wiper's were set for LHD and it wasn't ideal.

Edited by Bill Payer on 01/02/2008 at 22:24