What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
06 1.8 EX - How to soften the ride? - valmiki
The wife is currently driving a Civic 1.8 EX, 56 plate. It has 17" alloy wheels and a hard suspension, no doubt for the increased sportiness that the average Civic driver requires ;-:

She is now 5 months pregnant, and is finding the ride very harsh, what would my options be, and how effective would they actually be on this car?

Obviously I could change the wheels to something like a 15", what effect would this have on handling, etc? would it soften the ride to make it worthwhile?

I'm no Max Hardcore, and never really have been. Should I just pop down to Halfords and see what's on offer, and get some wheels until my wife is ready for the original wheels again?

thanks for all replies & suggestions

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 07/01/2008 at 10:59

1.8 EX - How to soften the ride? - SteVee
Have you asked your Honda dealer ?
You should consider the warranty and insurance implications of what you are planning - so any dealer recommended changes should be much easier, though perhaps more expensive.
I would expect 15inch wheels with high profile tyres all round would be quite effective, and allowed for both warranty and insurance, but both must be verified.
Would she accept steel wheels, or are only alloys acceptable ?

You will need to verify that the smaller diameter wheels clear brake calipers / discs etc, and have the correct offsets, fixings for your car. Your dealer *should* be better at advising than Halfords!
1.8 EX - How to soften the ride? - valmiki
my dealer's advice was limited to a shrug and a look that said not much more, to be honest!

as it's only temporary, I think steel wheels would be acceptable, and I understand the insurance/warranty issues.

I should add, the only other option for her is to drive my 2001 5-series, which in comparison is the typical 'magic carpet' ride. Only problem is that I have very little confidence in her spatial awareness in driving it!!
1.8 EX - How to soften the ride? - Red Baron
Yes, you will have to square from the dealer that 15" wheels can be accepted wrt the brake discs. Other than that, steel rims will be cheap and the correct way to go.
1.8 EX - How to soften the ride? - Kingpin
Have you checked which wheels and tyres are fitted to the base model, I'm sure they have plastic wheel trims. They might be the same size brakes and wheel studs so no worries there. The website or brochure should have the info. I think they might be 15 inch on the basic ones. Only problem is sourcing a set of four, main dealer will cost you a lot. One alternative is to find a recent Civic or Accord at a breakers and do it that way. Or why not try ebay if someone has bought new alloys for a Civic they often sell the steel wheels and tyres for next to nothing, do a search for Civic wheels and see what you find.
thanks for the helpful replies

another forum (civinfo) has told me that the new Civic only ever came on 16" steel wheels on the lowest spec, but 15" were available on the continent, so looks like not much choice!

I don't think going down to 16" is going to make that much difference, I had thought that a set of 15" could also be used as winter tyres in future.

will try ebay, thanks, but not sure whether to bother if it's only 16" available?
1.8 EX - How to soften the ride? - Peter.N.
Low pofile tyres have ruined the ride of so many cars, I dont know why manufacturers fit them, is it just 'style' or do they really thank that everyone wants to corner at 90 mph?
it's 'street'

[I think!]
1.8 EX - How to soften the ride? - mikej
Just about every review I read on the 'new' Civic mentioned the harsh ride when I was looking at it.

Eg. from www.whatcar.com/car-review-full.aspx?RT=747

"Stiff suspension means bumps and potholes are felt in the cabin, while there's a skittish feel on faster roads"

I test drove a number of different models (with various wheel sizes) and found them all to be the same, so I doubt that dropping down an inch will make much difference.

thanks mikej, clearly the stiff suspension rules out much difference (to her) in changing wheels then.

I had a chat with the missis last night, and we decided to leave it at present. She now thinks she can live with it!

I'm hoping that this means that when she next changes her car a few years down the line, she may take into consideration comfort, as well as what it looks like, how she looks in it and the colour it is (black, naturally).

Nothing against the female species, just the way this one in particular thinks. Don't understand it myself, she's usually level-headed about everything else.
1.8 EX - How to soften the ride? - Peter.N.
There was a nice black Citroen XM estate advertised a few weeks ago - now they really do give a good ride....
1.8 EX - How to soften the ride? - Falkirk Bairn
Similar question in a "popular Sunday Paper" re softening the ride in a Jazz

Recommendation there was:-

1) Try smaller wheels with higher profile tyres

2) Buy another car

Anything other than changing wheels and tyres has suspension /handling /safety implications and big ££££s on any change - some of which may have unknown safety / Insurance implications - Hence Buy AN Other car recommendation if 1) fails to make a difference