What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Fuel tank capacity - Chris S
Does anybody know what the fuel tank capacity is on a 1996 Nissan Micra?

According to the Haynes manual its 42 litres but I can never get more than about 30 litres of petrol in, even when the fuel gauge is on red.
Fuel tank capacity - Engineer Andy
Chris,

As a former owner of a Micra (also a 1996 vintage), I can confirm that the tank in my car was 42l capacity.

If I remember correctly, the maunal (from Nissan) says that when the warning light illuminates, there should be about 1 gallon/5 litres remaining, which should give somewhere between 35-50 miles, depending on use/conditions. Needless to say I have found out the hard way what the capacity of the tank was!

I'm no expert on the technical side of the engine, but maybe the sensor for the low fuel warning light is either incorrectly positioned or has come loose. If the light hasn't illumanited yet, the fuel gauge is more likely to be at fault if it shows its in the red zone (mine lit up before then, probably between 1/4 and 1/8 full).

Andy.
Fuel tank capacity - bathtub tom
If you're relly desperate to find out, then carry a (full) can of fuel around with you. When it stops you can put a the contents of the can in, and when you eventually re-start it, you can fill it up and find out exactly how much it holds.
I've never got within putting ten litres of any cars full capacity in the tank, except an old bubble car that only held about fifteen litres of 2T.
Fuel tank capacity - Engineer Andy
If you really want to try and do as Tom says, use country lanes - I ran out of fuel on the fast lane of the A1. Unlike the more modern cars, it will just literally be fine one moment and no go the next.

Not an experience I'd care to repeat. Needless to say from then on I just filled up when the tank was nearer 1/4 full!

I also agree about the rust problems with cross-members - which was why I got rid of mine. Still - it gave several years of good service.
Sorry!
I appear to have sent this twice.

Edited by bathtub tom on 02/01/2008 at 15:39

Fuel tank capacity - bell boy
he"s only got one car bt ;-)
Thanks for that BB.
How many have you got?
none,but i might still have the bucket of rust from the last xmember i did :-(

Edited by bell boy on 02/01/2008 at 15:43

I thought you were off to different climes with the ill-gotten gains of all those you sold with rusty cross-members.
I think we may be moderated soon.
ive been and had to come back :-(
rusty cars dont get you on the road to luxury they just help ;-o
Fuel tank capacity - Kuang
When my 95 Micra is on the red line, it'll take around 32 litres. If I wait for the warning light to come fully on rather than flickering on gradients, that'll go up to 34.
Fuel tank capacity - Pugugly {P}
42 litres according to a contemporary AA data sheet in their on-line archive of tests.