What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1997 1.3 Endura - smoking and missing - AndrewB
Hi everyone
Ford Fiesta 1997 1.3 Endura - E
When started it throws out a load of oily smoke which has got quite a lot of moisture in it. It continues to smoke all the time.
The engine also miss-fires and the exhaust back-fires. It uses an awful lot of oil and blows the oil filler cap off.
All in all it runs very rough indeed. There is a slight knocking from the engine but I think this is pretty normal on these engines? I have no idea when it was last serviced as I have just bought it with NO history.
Theres no water or anything in the oil.
I was thinking that maybe I should give it an engine flush followed by oil and filter change.........Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Andrew (new member)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/12/2007 at 19:27

Fiesta smoking and missing - Screwloose
Andrew

Don't worry about changing the oil; just change the engine.
Fiesta smoking and missing - AndrewB
Can you elaborate any further on what you think the problem might be?
Fiesta smoking and missing - Screwloose

Piston's gone.
Fiesta smoking and missing - bell boy
yes your engine sounds like its is @@@@-@@@-@@@@@-@@@@'-glasted
did you have your stevie wonder shades on when you purchased this chicken shed or were you still merry from the night before?
maybe see if the seller can accept it back sidewards while the ink on the receipt is still wet
you do have a receipt?
or did you buy it under a street light at 10.30 pm
Fiesta smoking and missing - AndrewB
No, I didnt buy it under a street lamp at 10.30pm. I took this as p/ex on a skip lorry as a non runner. Just wanted some advice, thats all!
Fiesta smoking and missing - bell boy
if you have no money in it and you were happy with the deal on the truck then i would possibly cut my losses before sourcing engines and having them fitted
the cat is worth £40
the battery is worth £2
the car is worth approx £80 as crushing fodder
these are from various sources that you will need to find in your home area
dont forget to weigh the tax in as well and get an end of life certificate for the scrapped car

see..........full details and full answers

a verry happy new year as well
1997 1.3 Endura - smoking and missing - MrLH
Just a note. I know this is an old set of messages but I have a quick note.
I just bought a fiesta (1997, endura e engine) and put some redX in. Do not put it in!! It made the car smoke for a half day until I put another half tank of petrol in to dilute it down. Fixed it from there. May have been some bad mix with the cat converter but I don't know.

1997 1.3 Endura - smoking and missing - Javalin
Screwloose,

How do you know its the piston from the description? Just curious.

James
1997 1.3 Endura - smoking and missing - Number_Cruncher
This is the giveaway

>>blows the oil filler cap off.

is that because the compression is being vented into the oil galaries? Piston rings or piston?
1997 1.3 Endura - smoking and missing - Number_Cruncher
The compression is passing the piston and going into the crankcase, it's overwhelming the crankcase breather system, and blowing the cap off. Normally, the crankcase runs under a slight vacuum, controlled by the PCV valve.

If just the crankcase breather system was blocked up, you wouldn't get all the oil being burnt.

Burning oil + heavy crankcase breathing is usually bad news!

ok - thanks for the information.