What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Navigation, Sun and Compass (No Sat Nav;)have you? - oilrag
Two points, Historical interest (Not Sat Nav)

1) Ever navigated by the Sun?

2) Ever used a compass? corrected (perhaps) to true North in relation to a road map or car journey/City map?

Regarding the Sun,

Back in the early 70`s entered Glasgow (for the first time) and entered a grid pattern of streets, no road signs and rough looking men on corners burning fires on the pavements .
That was returning from the Highlands via Loch Lomond and attempting to go South.
Got out by referencing the sun in the south west and keeping it to the front of the drivers side window.

Many years later, remembered this in Barcelona and drove out without a map or using road signs.

Second point, The Compass,

Compass, corrected to true (Polar) North, instead of Canadian Magnetic? Out of the car has anyone referenced such as a navigation aid regarding road maps or on foot in an unfamiliar City?

The Stars?
I got a fix on Polaris the other night, but talk about `faint` a non starter unless in Siberia perhaps?

Post is about what `can` be done, if somewhere very unfamiliar, perhaps abroad without modern technology, regarding navigation.

Regards

Edited by oilrag on 27/12/2007 at 15:50

Navigation, Sun and Compass (No Sat Nav;)have you? - Avant
I've occasionally done (1), but I wouldn't want to rely on it. In the immortal words of Michael Flanders,

'In July the sun is hot.
Is it shining? No, it's not.'
Navigation, Sun and Compass (No Sat Nav;)have you? - Altea Ego
Yes you were well lost oilcan. everyone knows there is no sun in scotland. YOu must have been somewhere else
------
And I dream Im on vacation - cos I like the way that sounds -
Navigation, Sun and Compass (No Sat Nav;)have you? - David Horn
Radio beacons.
Navigation, Sun and Compass (No Sat Nav;)have you? - Bromptonaut
Midsummer in the north of Scotland the sun noticeably rises in the north east and sets in the north west - and when finally set is only just dips below the horizon before appearing again.
Navigation, Sun and Compass (No Sat Nav;)have you? - R75
I have quite often used the Sun, it is a great indicator on your direction of travel as long as you know what way you need to be heading in the first place.

Not used a compass too much, but do have it enabled on the satnavs to give a bit of an aid!!
Navigation, Sun and Compass (No Sat Nav;)have you? - billy25
if you ever get lost in the countryside, moss grows thickest on the North side of a tree-trunk or boulder!

Billy
Navigation, Sun and Compass (No Sat Nav;)have you? - Alby Back
I use a combination of all available techniques. If I just want to reassure myself of the general direction of travel, I will take a mental bearing from the sun if available. Consulting a map in conjuction with this is often enough to confirm a route. However, if I am in heavy city traffic in a location I am not familiar with, I will switch on the TT to remove some of the strain of navigating and concentrate my efforts on driving.
Navigation, Sun and Compass (No Sat Nav;)have you? - Cliff Pope
The moon is quite useful if you are making your way across country on small roads at night. Eg returning from someone's house deep in the country, and trying to head vaguely in the direction of civilisation to pick up a main road.

With the sun and a watch you can find south at any time, as long as the sun is visible at all. Point the hour hand at the sun, and in between there and 12 o'clock is south.
Navigation, Sun and Compass (No Sat Nav;)have you? - Another John H
I use the sun for navigation on occasion.

The only snag is when you are driving and get balked by a new road layout which blocks the direct "old way" out of a City.
Navigation, Sun and Compass (No Sat Nav;)have you? - PoloGirl
Being a good Girl Guide... I can do all this, but prefer to keep my concentration on the road!

Navigation, Sun and Compass (No Sat Nav;)have you? - pmh
Have in the past used the orientation of Satellite Dishes to check direction.

Not as easy as it used to be particularly in France . Once upon a time nearly all French dishes pointed at (IIRC) 4? deg W of S at Telecom 2??? but nowadays they can point at a variety of of positions.
It still good in the UK where most Sky dishes are pointing about 28 E of S. Works for the mini dishes used in the South of UK.

Green moss on trees is another giveaway.

Work well when the sun is not visible.

--

pmh (was peter)

Navigation, Sun and Compass (No Sat Nav;)have you? - Nsar
Quite often use the sun and also contours of the land, eg in a river city where the land falls in a predictable way. It's called using your nouse - it comes pre-loaded with the human operating system, but something that SatNav users feel inclined to disable!
Navigation, Sun and Compass (No Sat Nav;)have you? - Kiwi Gary
I often use the sun as a general check on direction, and , before I acquired a sat-nav, I had a flux-gate compass on the dashboard. Very useful, especially in outback Australia where you can arrive at a junction with not the slightest hint of which road goes where.
Navigation, Sun and Compass (No Sat Nav;)have you? - cheddar
I have sailed a lot so have used various forms of navigation though would be inclined to simply ask directions if lost in a city like Glasgow or Barca.

After all even The Gorbals at midnight is less intimidating than a Force 8 or 10m vis in the middle of the channel.

;-)
Navigation, Sun and Compass (No Sat Nav;)have you? - Altea Ego
After all even The Gorbals at midnight is less intimidating than a Force 8 or
10m vis in the middle of the channel.

You have obviously never been to the gorbals on a saturday night after a big firm game.
------
And I dream Im on vacation - cos I like the way that sounds -