(92-98) zx diesel help - visler
i seem to be getting lots of air in the coolant system. i have bled the system as shown in the manual but still no joy.

the problem started yesterday when i parked(facing downhill) coolant started spurting out of the overflow pipe, however i had pulled in a few yards up the road on a level surface no coolant had escaped during the time i had waited for a van to move from my parking space.(approx 4mins)

i topped up the rad with water and antifreeze it seemed the system was almost empty and all attempts so far to keep the system free of air have failed.

has my head gasket gone ?

any advice would be great

visler

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/12/2007 at 13:35

zx diesel help - aimcarthur
almost definatly head gasket failure. Need to get it checked professionally as will led to overheating and warped head if it runs out of water. Budget £400 + Good engine other than than and ask the garage to use the citroen metal gasket kit. It is stronger.

aimcarthur
zx td.
zx diesel help - spikeyhead {p}
It's probably the head gasket but if the front carpets are wet then its the heater matrix. They're about the only two weak spots on these excellent cars.

--
I read often, only post occasionally
zx diesel help - Martin1981
These engines are prone to head gasket failures I'm afraid and pressure in the cooling system is one of the main symptoms of HG failure, whereby the HG has failed between the coolant passages and a combustion chamber, allowing combustion gases to be forced into the cooling system and thus causing pressurisation and resultant coolant loss. HG failure on these engines is usually progressive and rarely happens without warning.

To replace the head gasket and have the head skimmed, prices generally vary between £400 and £700. If your ZX has high mileage, the cost of repair would almost certainly exceed the value of the car. As such, it may be time to look for another car.

Martin