What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
diesel engines, trouble free ? - Flycog
Gents we have many posts describing the woes of Fords TDCI engines also HDI's and PD's. What i dont see too much of is vauxhall diesel problems, can i take it these are relatively trouble free for a modern engine.

slt

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 21/11/2007 at 00:32

diesel engines, trouble free ? - Bilboman
Early 2.0 DTi and 2.2 DTi engines were oil-guzzlers (see Honest John's Car by car breakdown) but later ones seemed to be sorted. My manager had two Vectras, a 2.0 DTi (which I inherited) and a 2.2. Both needed weekly topups.
My current company car (2004 old model Astra 2.0 DTi) has a much improved GM engine and hasn't used a drop in 70,000 miles. Current model Astras and Vectras have Fiat MultiJet 1.9 DTi units which I have heard have proved even better.
diesel engines, trouble free ? - Boxbasher
Have had a 1.9cdti 120 for 6 months now as a company car. Plus points are good economy, always over 48 mpg, very quiet at cruise, no oil used in 8000 miles since last service. Minus points are a big gap in gear ratios between 2nd /3rd, gearing too tall/lack of torque on pick-up in 6th at 60mph. Tried 150cdti, addresses these problems well, but noisy.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/11/2007 at 10:22

diesel engines, trouble free ? - adverse camber
I know several people with the 2.2 and problems (big probs in some cases)

The 1.9 has a good reputation in the saab and the alfa
diesel engines, trouble free ? - Collos25
Of course the 1.9 and the 2.2 diesels are good they are the same as Renault
diesel engines, trouble free ? - bathtub tom
When I had my Focus TDDI injector pump replaced, I was told they see more Astras for the same problem. Being within twenty miles of Luton could mean there's more Vauxhalls around here.
diesel engines, trouble free ? - adverse camber
>>Of course the 1.9 and the 2.2 diesels are good they are the same as Renault

I didnt know that - I dont know much about renaults full stop.

So does that mean that all those Espace 2.2 diesels have the GM engine?
diesel engines, trouble free ? - Ruperts Trooper
Do Renault use the Fiat 1.9 diesels, as well as GM?
diesel engines, trouble free ? - Roly93
Of course the 1.9 and the 2.2 diesels are good they are the same as
Renault

I'm confused !!
The 1.9 engine in Saabs and Alfa's is a Fiat derrived unit. The 2.2 engine in Saabs is an old generation (rather nasty) direct injection GM/Vauxhall lump.
Are you sure Renauly use this engine cus I dont think so.

Also, I would not say recent Renault diesels were a watchword for reliability.
diesel engines, trouble free ? - Altea Ego
Are you sure Renauly use this engine

They dont
------
< Ulla>
diesel engines, trouble free ? - Dynamic Dave
I know several people with the 2.2 and problems (big probs in some cases)

Was that the diesel engine though, or the 2.2 petrol engine that has been known to have camchain problems due to poor lubrication?
diesel engines, trouble free ? - Altea Ego
Gents we have many posts describing the woes of Fords TDCI engines also HDI's and
PD's.

I dont see many tales of woe about PDI engines, and give the number of HDi units out there, very few of those either.
------
< Ulla>
diesel engines, trouble free ? - Screwloose
can i take
it these are relatively trouble free for a modern engine.

Anything but....

There were two completely different, non-common-fail, diesels used in tandem; the X-series [GM] unit and the Y-series [Isuzu] units.

Both had lots of pump [they used a hideously complex Bosch VP pump that suffered from all sorts of weird faults and cost £1700 to replace] and engine ECU failures [mainly due to GM's silly idea that you can bolt an ECU directly on to a diesel engine and it won't shake apart from vibration!!

diesel engines, trouble free ? - TheOilBurner
I have a Vectra with the current generation 1.9 CDTI 150.

It's a superb engine in many ways. There is plenty of power, although not as much as a VW 2.0 TDI 140 below 2000rpm, but lots more above 3500rpm. The fuel economy is great. Low 40s round town and Mid 50s on the motorway, I've averaged 51.2mpg over the last 30K miles. Refinement at speed is impressive.

However, it is not problem free. All the 16v 150 engines have a swirl valve actuator built into the inlet manifold. When this breaks (and it *always* does with 30-60k miles, although it may be re-designed now) you're left with a bill that comes out around £800 if the car is not in warranty.

Fuel pumps and injectors tend to be reliable on the whole, but failure is not unknown. Turbo failures are uncommon but can happen, as can EGR failure.

Versions fitted with DPFs tend to have lots of problems with that too, especially if the car is used mainly around town, as the DPF never gets chance to burn off properly and becomes clogged.

One very common failure with these engines is with the dual mass flywheel on manual versions. These tend to go wrong very often with a bill of £1000+ expected.

These engines are cam belt driven. I haven't heard of any failures on vectra-c.com, but with 80-100k mile change intervals, who knows in the long run? Thankfully, the cambelt has to be replaced with the new inlet manifold is fitted, so few are making past 50k before having a new one fitted anyway!

Despite these problems, given what I've read here I'd much rather have one of these engines than a Renault 1.9 DCi or a Ford TDCI...
diesel engines, trouble free ? - Xileno {P}
Never been a Vauxhall diesel in a Renault, although the closest you will get is the 3.0dCi lump fitted to the Espace. This is an Isuzu engine, owned by GM.

Some of the Vauxhall vans use Renault diesels but they are just Trafics and Masters with different trim and badges.

The 1.9dCi Renault engine is quite durable, provided it's post June 2003 build and has had the modifications done.
diesel engines, trouble free ? - stuartl
18 months ago I bought an Astra 1.7TD with an Isuzu Engine after hearing that the Isuzu was a better engine than the GM.

Car had full Vaux History (which I checked) but engine died big time at 100,000 odd miles.

Could not get replacement engine for love nor money as there was a waiting list and even if I could get one I was looking at £1000 plus for an unknown secondhand one when one came up such was the demand for replacements for these cars.

I sold the car after three months and lost £2300 on it.

Nice car but an experience that will put me off GM cars for a very long time.

Shame as this Astra was my 11th Vaux car/van in 15 years