What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Cooking oil, common rail, lack of awareness? - oilrag
Just been looking at another forum and (sigh) yet *again* a young lad with a new common rail Grande Punto thinking of running it on cooking oil.

You try to post advice but its ignored, such is the focus on doing it.

why? Do you think there`s just just *no awareness* and the fuel injection system and pumps can only be visualised as a plastic squeeze bottle?

Regards

Cooking oil, common rail, lack of awareness? - fordprefect
On today's lunchtime TV news (Channel 4, I think?) there was a report of a school in Cambridgeshire running their minibus on 100% 'diesel' made by reprocessing used cooking oil.

The make, model and year of the bus wasn't stated, the impression given was that after the outlay for the reprocessing kit you could happily run any diesel on 22 pence a litre reclaimed chip fat.

As 'media studies' is far more popular than science or engineering courses, this is hardly surprising.

Cooking oil, common rail, lack of awareness? - Aprilia
I think its the science and engineering lads that would want to try it. I know it was the kind of thing I would have wanted a try at when I was younger, and just take a risk on not wrecking the motor...
Cooking oil, common rail, lack of awareness? - bathtub tom
>>The make, model and year of the bus wasn't stated

From the shot of it driving away, I'm sure I saw a '56 reg, and a blue oval.
Likely engine anyone?
common rail?
Cooking oil, common rail, lack of awareness? - Falkirk Bairn
Instead of "Good-Bye Mr Chips"

a 2 yr old Transit might read in a few hundred miles

"Good-bye, it's had it's had it's Chips"

Surely in the staff of say 100 teachers in a typical Secondary School there is one teacher with some "common-rail sense"
Cooking oil, common rail, lack of awareness? - dnc1781
More here:

tinyurl.com/yvx5kw
Cooking oil, common rail, lack of awareness? - bathtub tom
And here:
tinyurl.com/2jyh5d

"Vehicle using the new diesel do not need to be specially adapted but manufacturers warn that you use the fuel at your own risk and that it could invalidate your warranty if something goes wrong.

But the kit-makers claim the bio-fuel is a better lubricant than normal diesel and can actually extend an engine's lifespan."

To paraphrase Mandy Rice-Davies (hands up all those who remember her) 'They would say that wouldn't they'.

>>Surely in the staff of say 100 teachers in a typical Secondary School there is one teacher with some "common-rail sense"
Those that can, do! Those that can't, teach ;>)
Cooking oil, common rail, lack of awareness? - Pugugly {P}
Hand goes up.
I ahve just bought my first common rail diesel.

I am so paranoid about problems with these engines that I have been buying BP Ultimate and the last fill was Shell Vpower.......................

Cooking oil, common rail, lack of awareness? - gordonbennet
Reckon a poll might be in order to see how many of us have been put off buying a used common rail diesel motor.

Wasting your valuable time Oilrag trying to tell these youngsters anything, don't know why younger minds have changed so much, i was always very grateful for wisdom from others when i was a young chap..........mind you can't have paid much attention, i still know nothing of value.

Where do they get the money for these new cars anyway?
Cooking oil, common rail, lack of awareness? - pendulum
I think there's a risk of confusing two issues here.

I mean, there's pouring veggie oil in to the tank of your CR diesel and running the car on it. That's one (stupid) thing to do. Then there is taking veggie oil and processing it, turning it in to Biodiesel which conforms to set standards and is more like actual Diesel than veggie oil. That's probably what they did with the bus... and (maybe) not so stupid.

I have to say that on the biodiesel/SVO user forums I frequent, I haven't seen a single person contemplating running a CR diesel on veggie oil. I doubt anyone does? If you mean Biodiesel however...
Cooking oil, common rail, lack of awareness? - MichaelR
Mate of mine has started using veg oil in his 2002 BMW 330d Sport. I did tell him it was a very risky idea, but he says its now saving him £20 a month so its worth it.

He mixes it with diesel, I think something like 1 part cooking oil for 5 parts diesel.

Is this safe, or is he being silly?
Cooking oil, common rail, lack of awareness? - rtj70
"Mate of mine has started using veg oil in his 2002 BMW 330d Sport"

Your mate can afford this car to purchase but not the fuel? So saving £20pm for a risk like this? He's not that smart then... then again he bought a 3 series ;-) Follow the crowd. You'd want to save lots more per month to offset the risk.
Cooking oil, common rail, lack of awareness? - DP
My uncle works for a road maintenance firm, and they run their entire HGV fleet, all less than 3 yrs old, which I'm guessing are common rail engined, on biodiesel.

The veg oil thing is something I always thought you did on a cheap car you didn't really care about.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
So what happened to all this waste cooking oil before this sudden change of use ??
So what happened to all this waste cooking oil before this sudden change of use
??

It gets dumped at the recycling area at the foot of our road as the cafe/restaurant will not pay for the council to dispose of it
Cooking oil, common rail, lack of awareness? - Group B
So what happened to all this waste cooking oil before this sudden change of use
??

Some used to be used in animal feed and the rest went into landfill. But they banned it from being used in animal feed in 2004.

1999 figure for quantity of waste cooking oil generated in the UK was 100,000 tonnes snipurl.com/1tkcn .
Thats about 90 million litres...
1999 figure for quantity of waste cooking oil generated in the UK was 100 000
tonnes. Thats about 90 million litres...

Sorry I did my sums wrong, its closer to 110 million litres.

"Sorry I did my sums wrong, its closer to 110 million litres."

Still impressed though !
Cooking oil, common rail, lack of awareness? - pendulum
Sounds like sillyness to me. Only put straight veggie in a car you can afford to lose/scrap is my mindset. Can he afford to scrap or repair a 02 330d? I doubt it if he is so desperate to save £20 a month.

The modern cars don't tend to like untreated veg oil straight in the tank... he might be lucky or he might not be.
Cooking oil, common rail, lack of awareness? - ijws15
Honda say no Biodiesel in the Cdti so cooking oil would be out as well.
Cooking oil, common rail, lack of awareness? - Carse
My Mondeo ST TDCI handbook states no Bio Diesel also.

Carse
Do Honda say no 100% biodiesel, or no biodiesel whatsoever, even in a blend? 5% biodiesel blend meets the same standard as normal diesel so should be safe in all cars.

Its about time manufacturers pulled their fingers out and started issuing some meaningful, accurate information about using biodiesel.
By 2010, 5% of all fuel sold on UK forecourts will have to be biofuel, so we better get used to the idea.

Good on that school for running the project, its interesting for the kids and raises awareness.

;o)
Cooking oil, common rail, lack of awareness? - Screwloose
Good on that school for running the project its interesting for the kids and raises
awareness.

...And provides an unending source of workshop profits for the motor trade.
...And provides an unending source of workshop profits for the motor trade.

If the transit is common rail then the piezo injectors might have a problem with 100% biodiesel. But if its a tddi engine it might be alright. I thought a college would have done some in-depth research before embarking on such a project.

If the engine does pack up they will learn a valuable lesson, albeit an unintended one!
Cooking oil, common rail, lack of awareness? - Saltrampen
I would have thought one critical parameter is the viscosity of biodiesel under very high pressure. If it does not behave the same way as normal diesel then the combustion process will not take place in the way intended (lumpy).
With Older LP systems, I assume it is just a question of getting it in the cylinder in one shot.
Also still not sure what the Exhaust sensors will make of the higher oxygen content of untreated veg oil. And I agree lets see some proper research where someone has taken a common rail and run it on Untreated veg oil, home made biodiesel and commercial biodiesel.