What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
06 -'Grunting'noise from s/wheel when turning left - dixie
I've just got a Audi A4 2.0 tdi 170 bhp when i reverse with left hand turn or turn left say onto my drive i get a annoying grunting noise which seems to come from my steering wheel my car is a 56 plate and my audi garage tells me this is a fault with the a4s and audi are looking for a fix true or false?
any ideas what to do this noise does not occur when im turning left hand turns at normal speed like i say only when moving very slowly or near enough on lock turn
help......

Moved over from Discussion and subject line tweaked

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 27/10/2007 at 22:49

06 -'Grunting'noise from s/wheel when turning left - bell boy
wild pig struggling to make a living in the gap above the wheelarch protecter?
06 -'Grunting'noise from s/wheel when turning left - Screwloose
dixie

Could this be pressurized hydraulic fluid resonating through a valve? Maybe Audi have designed the pipework carelessly and the system "sings" a bit?
06 -'Grunting'noise from s/wheel when turning left - Roly93
This is now a known problem with A4's and I believe there is a mod to the PS pipework to cure it. Neither of my A4's ever suffered from this strangely.
06 -'Grunting'noise from s/wheel when turning left - daveyjp
I have just started experiencing something similar in my A3. At the moment it's very spasmodic, but I am monitoring it. Mine happens when entering parking spaces - slow speed manouvering with full steering lock.
06 -'Grunting'noise from s/wheel when turning left - daveyjp
I've just returned from the Audi dealer as the noise has become more persistant. A technician saw me there and then. I explained I had a noise from the steering he said "don't tell me it's when you are turning left". Needless to say when we first got in the car it was silent, but a few laps of the car park and the noise became evident.

Whilst not a very common fault he has come across it on A3s and A4s - solution is a new steering rack which has supposedly been modified to correct the problem.

I wonder if they'll let me have the R8 as a courtesy car!