What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
The last 2-WD production car with grease nipples - Chris S
Does anyone know what the last 2-WD production car with grease nipples was?

My guess is the Rover 100 (metro) in 1998.
The last 2-WD production car with grease nipples - OldSock
I'm intrigued as to why you'd want to know.
The last 2-WD production car with grease nipples - SlidingPillar
Still being made...

All traditional shaped Morgans (I think the Aero doesn't but I'm not sure).

You might argue they are not production cars, but they are.
The last 2-WD production car with grease nipples - boxsterboy
I didn't know Metros/Rover 100s had grease nipples? I know 2CVs did (last sold 1990).
The last 2-WD production car with grease nipples - Group B
I didn't know Metros/Rover 100s had grease nipples?

Neither did I, were they on the suspension? Is that why ours used to creak/ squeak all the time in the most annoying fashion? ;o)
The last 2-WD production car with grease nipples - Cliff Pope
I think it's a matter of degree, rather than an absolute yes/no.

A typical old car had literally dozens of grease nipples. Every suspension joint, track rod ends, propshaft joints and splines, rear hubs, water pump, steering idler, steering rack, had grease nipples. Some might have required oil rather than grease. Some might have needed special grease. Also of course some had reservoirs filled with oil, eg wheel bearings.

Gradually over the years the number was reduced, as rubber bushes replaced bronze or steel, and some components were made "sealed for life" - ie throw them away rather than maintain by lubrication.
I would guess that there were cars that still retained an odd grease nipple somewhere years after thay had largely vanished.
Also remember some grease nipples were not intended to be left permanently in place.
My Volvo (1993) has screw-in plugs in the prop shaft joints. Those who can be bothered can once in a 100,000 miles screw in a temporary grease nipple, grease, and then replace the plug.
The last 2-WD production car with grease nipples - jc2
Remember the Triumph Herald introduced in 1959-advertized as the car with no grease nipples-service instructions told you to remove the blanking plugs from all the service points and fit nipples.
The last 2-WD production car with grease nipples - Chris S
I didn't know Metros/Rover 100s had grease nipples?

They were on the front suspension and the rear suspension trailing-arms.

A couple of years ago I tried to buy a grease gun at an independent motorfactors. The teenager behind the counter hadn't got a clue what I was on about!
The last 2-WD production car with grease nipples - SteVee
>>My guess is the Rover 100 (metro) in 1998.<<

That's probably how they ended up in the MGF also.
Of course, there's nothing in the service schedule about what you should do with them.
The last 2-WD production car with grease nipples - none
Skoda used to claim that Estelle kingpins didn't need lubricating as the bushes were coated in some sort of frictionless everlasting plastic.
Grease nipples were fitted though, the reason being that regular greasing drove out any water or road dirt that had found it's way in.
The last 2-WD production car with grease nipples - DrS
Didn't the old mini have some just in front of the rear wheels? Sub frame pivot?
The last 2-WD production car with grease nipples - fossyant
My Rover Metro 1.4 GTa had them - I was 21 at the time just as the new 'Rover Metro' came out... started to rust after 4 years, but kept the suspension greased. Nice little car - not very safe by today's standards and they did rust.