What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
LDV 400 Engine Question - rg
Folks,

Later versions of this basic and lovable van used Ford powerplants.

However, earlier ones (to 1996?) used Peugeot.

Does anyone know of which type (2.5 is surely too big for the XUD), and what the main vices and failings were?

Thanks

rg
LDV 400 Engine Question - jc2
The earlier Peureot engine was also used in Granada(1.9,2.1,2.3,2.5,2.5T)and in Sierra(2.3).
LDV 400 Engine Question - rg
Thanks.

So it's the XUD?

r
LDV 400 Engine Question - local yokel
I think that engine is not the XUD - the various diesel engines are listed at the end of this page:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peugeot_504
Not the XUD:it's a much older engine-goes back to the mid-sixties-always used in a N/S mounting(not transverse).
LDV 400 Engine Question - gordonbennet
If your talking about the 2.5 peugout diesel i had one in a 84 granada.

Very sluggish but very reliable good on fuel and unbelievably simple. Good old pushrods.

When i bought the car it had been very neglected lack of oil and no changes, and i had to recondition fully, rebore and new shells etc the crank must have been made of tungsten cos the engine was worn out knocking smoking like a train but the crank was as new!!
Cast iron cyl head as well no probs at all.
Easiest engine i have ever worked on.
Obviously they need good and regular maintenance but cared for will give years of trouble free service.

Some of these were turbo'd but that was mainly the 2.3 (same engine different bore i think) but the 2.5 was blown later and these are very powerful torquey engines.

Wish they still made engines like these.
LDV 400 Engine Question - gordonbennet
Forgot, you need a seriously good battery to crank this very heavy engine 88ah sticks somewhere in my memory, and keep a look out for a spare vacuum pump as some of the diaphragms were sealed for life (oxymoron) and i seem to remember a new pump cost me over £100 in 1987.
LDV 400 Engine Question - bell boy
i dont want to throw a spanner in the works but every jelly mould diesel i ever had was a 2.3 diesel,it was horrible and slow and my bad back probably goes back to me sat in the drivers seat pushing them on which they eventually did
no idea if they were pewgot lumps as apart from failing mot"s on smoke i never got involved
LDV 400 Engine Question - Screwloose

They were the E-series Peugeot lumps that started life shortly after the dinosaurs died out.

They may have originated in the 403; I'm sure they were in the 404. [Taxi-spec mostly.]

I used to drive a LDV recovery beaver [2.5 with a turbo bolted on - the ET series] and they really flew with a big torque-optimized band around 2,200 revs that was just right for every gear.

The Peugeot boxes were horrid and by the time you found fifth, it was time for third again; but, apart from that - whisper it quietly - they were actually quite nice to drive.
Our company owned a Sierra in which a 2.5 had been fitted in place of the 2.3-made it a much better car but we never got round to fitting the turbo version.