What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2 lt TDCi - Stopped running won't re-start. - trikey 64
Hi,

Got a 2 lt TDCi amd have had no problems until last night.

I started the car and it made a slight knocking noise and then cut out, it sounded like it was running on one or two cylinders, it turns over but won;t start and the heater glow plug warning light stays on. Thanks

Shouting amended and subject line made tweaked - PU
{engine details added to header - DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/10/2007 at 11:28

2.0 TDCi - Fuel not getting through filter. - trikey 64
I was wondering if anybody could help ? I can't seem to get any diesel to pump through to the diesel filter.

shouting amended
(2 posts by same OP merged, as related to same subject)

Edited by Webmaster on 23/12/2007 at 12:22

2.0 TDCi - Fuel not getting through filter. - Screwloose

What are you trying to do?
I WAS TRYING TO START THE CAR AFTER FITTING A NEW DIESEL FILTER,BUT CANT SEEM TO GET ANY TO COME OUT OF THE FUEL PIPE, THAT FITS ON TOP OF THE FILTER.

Email sent to you regarding repeated shouting. It becomes labour intensive to edit it and future posts may be deleted. There is a lot of expertise in here and people are very happy to help, one post has already been deleted complaining about the "shouting" Otherwise its the "naughty step" !

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 27/10/2007 at 14:03

2.0 TDCi - Fuel not getting through filter. - Screwloose

Why would fuel come out of a pipe there - it's "sucked" through by the transfer pump on the engine?
2.0 TDCi - Fuel not getting through filter. - 659FBE
If you are fitting a new filter to a diesel engine not equipped with a priming pump, it's advisble to fill the new filter with clean fuel at its inlet.

Some engines - Delphi equipped engines such as yours come into this category - are very sniffy about starting promptly after a filter change. Some people crank endlessly which is not a good idea.

I use a Wanner gearbox filler syringe (1 litre capacity) in reverse as a suction pump. By attaching this to the outlet of the new filter with a piece of tubing and giving it a darned good "suck" you can fill a new filter in one shot. Reconnect the outlet pipe and the engine will start first time.

Cars equipped with a Bosch tandem pump seem to be capable of filling a filter without any other precautions. I fitted a new (dry) filter to my VAG PD engine the other day and cranked the engine to see what it would do. Instant start and not a cough.

well i thought the fuel was pumped through from the pump in the tank,into the filter and then around the engine. but not having any diesel coming through from the tank made me feel that the pump my be shot
2.0 TDCi - Fuel not getting through filter. - kithmo
Trikey 64, if it's a 130ps you won't get fuel to pump up to the filter as it doesn't have a lift pump. The Main pump on the front of the engine sucks the fuel through. You will have to manually fill the pump with diesel and then reconnect all the pipes and turn the engine over. IIRC some of the 115ps models do have a lift pump (maybe the TDDi).
-----------------------------------------------
2005 Ford Mondeo Zetec 2.0 TDCi 130ps

Edited by kith on 27/10/2007 at 22:12

thanks kith, ive had a diagnostics test done but it doesnt give any known fault. thats why i thought it maybe a simple fuel filter. i do remember when i turned the ignition on it made a noise and would then stop.and the same when you shut the engine off i thought it was the pump in the tank shutting down,but it dont make the noise any more so thats why i thought it may be that.
2.0 TDCi - Fuel not getting through filter. - kithmo
The noise you heard could just be the heater flaps resetting, mine does that.
2 lt TDCi - Stopped running won't re-start. - jester19
hi mate, did you get a solution to this problem? did it clear the digital dash. ie clearead the outside temperature the trip and mileage readings? just filled the numbers with dashes?
2 lt TDCi - Stopped running won't re-start. - injection doc
!st port of call is to check in tank pump!
Doc
2 lt TDCi - Stopped running won't re-start. - kithmo
It doesn't have one

2 lt TDCi - Stopped running won't re-start. - jester19
i have been messing with mine this afternoon, got it running ok but when i shut the bonnet it stopped again, checked the wiring was not in the way of the hinges. got it going again and did the same again. because it dashes out the numbers on the clocks it got to be the immoberliser thats why mine wont start again, does this sound feasible?
2 lt TDCi - Stopped running won't re-start. - Screwloose

No; once it's running, the immobilizer can't stop it. Suspect things like the cam sensor or a power-feed fault.