What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
TDci or TDdi - how can I tell the difference? - peps
I'm just buying an 02 Mondeo diesel, how do I physially check under the bonnet that it is as claimed a TDci and not the TDdi?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/10/2007 at 22:03

TDci or TDdi - grahamw
I had a 2001 Y reg TDdi, from memory it had the word Duratorq moulded on the plastic engine cover and no badge on the boot to indicate what engine was under the bonnet.
It also had twin pipes coming out of the rear silencer.
106,000 in under 3 years with no problems what so ever.
TDci or TDdi - pafosman
Hi,
This is a vexed subject! May I suggest you do a forum search? Some time ago there was what I regarded as the definitive answer from, I think, Xileno (apologies if my failing memory has let me down again) I have had what I believe to be the TDDi engine in the transit for 70k miles and experienced none of the horrors attributed to some of the TDCi. Yes, it has got 'Duratorq' on the cam cover.
Obviously the DMF has gone and there's a wheel bearing churning away but you didn't ask about that!
Good luck
Papho

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/10/2007 at 22:20

TDci or TDdi - pafosman
Some time 'ago' etc sorry
TDci or TDdi - Dynamic Dave
pafosman, edited in for you. I take it you're not aware that you have your own edit key now? It will work for up to 5 mins after you have posted, or until someone has replied to your post.
TDci or TDdi - kithmo
Pull off the big plastic engine cover (if it has one) and if it is a TDCi it will have a black bar (fuel rail) running across in front of the cam cover with the fuel pipes coming out of it going to the injectors. If it is a TDDi the injector pipes will go from the injectors further down the front of the engine directly to the fuel pump.
-----------------------------------------------
2005 Ford Mondeo Zetec 2.0 TDCi 130ps

Edited by kith on 17/10/2007 at 10:05

TDci or TDdi - how can I tell the difference? - stevie1234
If it starts up with no error lights or messages and does not sound like a sack of spanners being rigorously shaken it is probably not the TDci.

If it turns out to be the TDci, do yourself a favour and do not buy it, ask about the cost of injectors and flywheels, ask if the starter motor is going to gum up every 3 months.

Trust me I have a 2.2Hdi engined car and my Father has the Mondeo TDci, once they sart to go wrong (which they will) you will be absolutely staggered at the costs.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/10/2007 at 19:39

TDci or TDdi - how can I tell the difference? - mfarrow
Just ring up a Ford dealer parts desk and give them your reg. or VIN.

--------------
Mike Farrow