What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - Phil J
Bit of background - I've been looking for a replacement car for a couple of weeks now, and have encountered radically different attitudes to test drives from different dealers/manufacturers.

I'm changing a Motability car, and I appreciate that I am probably not the "normal" profile of a Motability customer - I'm mid 30's, travel a lot (15,000 miles a year) and am pretty active, so it's not going to be a car to just do the shopping in.

As once we get these cars we have to keep them for three years, it's important to me that I feel comfortable in it, as it's not unusual for me to do more than 4 hours at a time in the car.

I've looked at a few different cars and the manufacturers attitudes have varied wildly. Renault offered me a car for a day, subject to signing up to their insurance. I was in it for 4 hours, no problem. Mazda offered me a car for up to 4 hours, as have Volvo, which I'm driving next week. Ford gave me an accompanied test drive for 10 minutes, and said that they won't do any unaccompanied drives. I thought that this might have been because they were a small dealer, but I tried another and got the same response.

I do appreciate that they probably don't make much money through the Motability scheme, but do they have the same attitude to normal retail sales as well? If so, are people happy to spend £20,000 upwards on the basis of a 10 minute drive?

SLT

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 13/10/2007 at 19:08

Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - El Hacko
yes, Ford main dealers seem to have problem here. Earlier this year, I requested a "lengthy" drive in a Focus, and was told I cld only abt 20 minutes on the road, accompanied. What abt borrowing one for a weekend? "Sorry sir, you have to hire one fm us and we'll pay you back the hire cost if you go on and buy." Some hope! Contrast that with Citroen who were happy to lend me a C4 for a weekend.
Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - 1066
I do appreciate that they probably don't make much money through the Motability scheme, but do they have the same attitude to normal retail sales as well? If so, are people happy to spend £20,000 upwards on the basis of a 10 minute drive?

the discount that motability get is very low usually about 5 percent from list so the dealer should be very accommodating. speak to motability direct and let them speak to a ford dealer local to you.
Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - ForumNeedsModerating
Sympathies to the OP on not getting a long enough drive for his appraisal, luckily I've never had a problem in that area. Ford was mentioned above, as not being generous in test drives or even allowing unaccompanied drives. This contradicts my experience a couple of weeks ago - I expressed an interest in a new Mondeo, made it clear I wasn't buying today, but would appreciate a short drive - the guy , metaphorically, just threw me the keys & said 'Sure, take it for spin!' (unaccompanied) Which I did - very nice too.

I have some understanding or sympathy for dealers & would quite understand them being reluctant in offering overnight or w/e test drives. They may use the car themselves as part of their employment package or simply have too many requests for overnighters - let's face it, there are probably a goodly proportion tyre-kickers out there looking for a freebie hire.

Although in a slightly different position, would any private sellers allow unaccompanied test drives or overnight appraisals? Doubt it very much - puts it in a truer perspective when looked at like that perhaps.

Finally, (and this may sound surprising) I've often bought new or nearly-new cars without even so much as sitting in the driver's seat - I quite like the excitement of a completely new experience on that first drive - and have not made any bad choices so far. I do my research, and virtually 'know' beforehand what I'll be getting.

Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - PoloGirl
I looked round loads of places before choosing the Golf last year. Not one would let me take a long, unaccompanied test drive, until I mentioned the magic words "It's a company lease".... then the coffee, biscuits and fleet manager all came out, and I could take anything I wanted!

That said, I bought the Golf without test driving that specific model, but I'd driven enough of that engine to know that that was what I wanted at the time (of course now I wish I had the GT!)

Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - 659FBE
I was surprised and pleased to be offered an unaccompanied test drive in the (second hand) Skoda Superb I eventually bought (after a bit of tinkering with the specification).

I could have had it for a lengthy drive (Salesman "no hurry") but after a quick trip around the block it was obvious that the car was the same as a 130 PS PD Passat in substance, although better trimmed and detailed - and with real leg room. I ran it for about half an hour to check the mechanical details - all OK.

So, 10/10 to the salesman - he did an excellent job and got his sale. The VAG workshop work done to bring the car up to my required specification was truly abysmal. Spare tyre unused and not punctured - but flat. Rear pads, 3mm friction material. These people are lunatics; a business run like this will not survive - I won't go there again although the car is fine.

Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - MichaelR
Find another Ford dealer. My local dealer gave me the keys to an ST220 and said have fun. I was 21.
Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - Vansboy
Vauxhall offer 48hour test drive campaigns, now & again.

Ford have something extra, though. Join www.talkbackclub.co.uk you get a magazine, a few times a year, offers & extended test drives. All free & you don't even need to own a Ford.

VB
I do understand that test drives are usually in cars that are assigned to salesmen - in fact the Renault dealer just said to get the car back before they close so that his colleague could get home! I also understand that weekend test drives/overnighters could be used as a free hire car, so I wouldn't ask for one of those. At the moment I am "between employments" and try to arrange these things to happen midweek, and certainly not overnight.

I have asked two Ford dealers now, and have got the same response. It just seemed odd to me that Volvo and Mazda are happy to do it, but the parent company isn't.

It was the flat refusal that puzzled me.

I did wonder whether it was trying to put Motability customers off, as it doesn't matter which model it is - C-Max, Mondeo or any other. Incidentally, I'm not after a base model either, so the advance payment will add up to a few grand!

I find it very interesting to note that people wouldn't want a lengthy test drive - surely the only way that you know a car is comfortable on a long journey is to try it. After all, car reviews are based around that individuals comfort and they may be very different from you! I have driven cars that were very comfy for a 30 minute drive but couldn't walk (literally) after a 4 hour drive to London.

Oh, and the club is for Company drivers, who are, quite naturally, very important for a company. Ford motability customers get a magazine and details of cars through the post, but can't make sure a car will be comfortable.

P.S. the Renault was returned with more diesel in than I got it with as well ;)
Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - Bill Payer
but can't make sure a car will be comfortable.

You could sit in it for 4hrs at the dealership!

I'd be amazed if Ford won't arrange a car for you - as previously advised, contact Motability & get them to arrange it. Fleet managers have a lot of clout.
Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - NARU
I'd ... contact Motability & get them to arrange it. Fleet managers have a lot of clout.

I agree completely - Our fleet manager used to get way more offers of test drives of new models that she could drive herself so she shared them around or declined them. But if any of us wanted a drive of something particular one phone call from her got it delivered for a day or two. And that was a tiny fleet compared with Motability.
Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - NARU
Not one would let me take a long unaccompanied test drive until I mentioned the magic words "It's a company lease"

I found that worked at most, but the local VW dealer took the details then said "xxx lease company don't get their cars from us so I can't give you a test drive". We eventually got an accompanied 20 min run after some persuasion from me.
Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - movilogo
I have driven cars that were very comfy for a 30 minute drive but couldn't walk (literally) after a 4 hour drive

I must be lucky then! I discovered that if I don't feel unfortable after 30 minute of driving in any car, usually I can drive it for 4-5 hours without problem.

Cars that come with fully adjustable seat (slide, height, lumber) and steering (rack & reach) usually cater a wide range of shapes and sizes.

Even then, I also insist a long test drive if at all available.

Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - whoopwhoop
In my experience, Ford are the most generous when it comes to test drives. I've had an ST220 for the weekend without any drama. I was offered an s-max too, without even being asked, in case I wanted to compare them.

8< SNIP! - what could be deemed as an arrogant comment, removed - DD

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/10/2007 at 15:17

I found that worked at most but the local VW dealer took the details then
said "xxx lease company don't get their cars from us so I can't give you
a test drive". We eventually got an accompanied 20 min run after some persuasion from
me.

That happened to me a few yrs ago when VW/Audi shared dealerships and I wanted to drive an A4. I was practically thrown out of the dealership simply because it was a company car. I called Audi UK and 15mins later the dealer was on the phone offering to deliver a car to my house.
Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - horatio
"Ford was mentioned above, as not being generous in test drives or even allowing unaccompanied drives. This contradicts my experience a couple of weeks ago"

I can't see how your experience contradicts what Ford were not prepared to do for the OP or for someone else in the thread. They gave you the key and said "take it for a spin" this implies a short run around the block, I think if you had taken it for 4 hours they would have called the cops. And you did not ask for a long test drive.
Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - Peter S
the discount that motability get is very low usually about 5 percent from list so
the dealer should be very accommodating. speak to motability direct and let them
speak to ford dealer local to you.

I'm pretty sure that Motability will get much larger discounts than that on most cars - IIRC it has one of the largest fleets in Europe!!
Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - chukter
I have recently experienced the necessity of an extended test drive in an almost new Honda Accord EX, which I was initially really keen to do a deal against my current BMW E46 Touring.

I was extremely impressed with the mechanical integrity of the Honda, but thankfully the salesman had told me to take it on an unaccompanied drive as far/long as I wanted. After an hour, despite lumber adjustment, (as someone who suffers from lower back problems), the seats became increasingly uncomfortable to the extent that it became totally unsuitable.

This problem would most certainly not manifested itself in a short 10 minute test drive, so as far as I`m concerned an extended test drive is absolutely essential, and if any manufacturer will not allow potential customers sufficient time behind the wheel, they just do not deserve your business.

At the end of the day Honda have sufficiently impressed me that I will keep in touch until I find a model with suitable seats, but for now , I am sticking with the lumber supported seats in my BMW.

Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - Pugugly {P}
BMW have always let me loose in their cars unaccompanied, mainly a couple of hours at most.
Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - Westpig
bottom line is too many Brits accept poor service.......we are not good as a nation at challenging it........so poor service carries on.....it's not just cars

if we all went into a garage and convinced them we were genuine buyers, but insisted on a decent test drive first, we'd sort it out....however, how many of your family/friends do you know would go in there hand wringing and accept whatever came their way .. i've got a few that's for sure
Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - Statistical outlier
I had a similar positive experience with both Honda and Audi. Audi were happy for me to go out for an hour in an A4 Avant unaccompanied.

Honda similarly were happy to arrange an hour unaccompanied, and when I rang to say that I would have to move the appointment back as I had to first go down to Banbury (50 miles perhaps), they suggested that I came earlier and took an Accord down instead. They even went and filled it up to make sure I had diesel, and specifically instructed me not to refill it.
Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - 1066
ive seen the invoices from motability sales on at least 20 cars and

nissan give 4 percent
ford give 5percent
vauxhall 4 percent
most korean cars are 6 percent.

im sure if i haggled i'd get more than that on a private sale
Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - T Lucas
Its the 'behind the scenes'support that motability get that makes the difference.You would not be able to achieve the same levels as a private purchaser.
Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - whoopwhoop
That's just the base invoice value.

Motobility (like all big fleets) get kick-backs (cash-back) direct from the manufacturers, based on volume purchased each quarter.

If they only buy a handful of a particular manufacturer's car in a giver quarter, they might not get any kick-back at all, so the bottom line is 4-6% off list.

If they buy 250+ of a manufacturer's car, they'll get tens of thousands cash-back so the discount will effectively be nearer 25%-35%.

Then there's the guaranteed buy-back arrangements which have a value... plus other support services like inclusive maintenance offered by some manufacturer's on certain cars.

It's how it works for large fleets around the globe...

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 14/10/2007 at 16:44

Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - DrS
A couple of years ago, I was considering changing our company cars to all Ford Mondeos: A view to buying / leasing 8 cars at Ghia spec.
Arranged a 24 hour test drive, but on the morning the car was due to be delivered.... Nothing.
Phoned the guy to ask where it was: Seems that he'd changed his mind, as he didn't want to run up too many miles on his demonstrator, as it would make it difficult to sell on afterwards.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/10/2007 at 19:59

Arranged a 24 hour test drive but on the morning the car was due to
be delivered.... Nothing.

Well that's just ridiculous - as another poster has already mentioned, Ford have (and have had for quite a few years) a very organised scheme for extended test drives, with depots full of cars in several locations ready to deliver to your door.
Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - boxsterboy
An extended test drive is essential if it's your own £20,000 that is being spent. Many purchases at this level are however of the Company Car variety, and for many of these drivers all that matters is the badge and the image. Test drive not required!
An extended test drive is essential....

I think it depends what you want the car for - many private owners probably never drive their cars very far.

On the other hand a company car driver will often spend entire days in their car - it's vital that it suits them. The thing is, that amongst the typical £20K company cars, there aren't any bad ones - you might as well pick from the brochure.
Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - Mapmaker
If I were to spend 20k I should want to know that I could sit comfortably in a car for 200 miles.
Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - commerdriver
>>The thing is that amongst the typical
£20K company cars there aren't any bad ones - you might as well pick from
the brochure.

Unfortunately not true as far as seating goes, last change I looked seriously at an X-type, I had one for a weekend and 300 miles and could not stand the seating, shame because I liked just about everything else about it.
Not saying the seats are bad for everybody but neither my wife or I could get comfortable at all, not on for a car doing 25k a year
I looked seriously at an X-type

Well, I was thinking more of Audi / BMW - I'm sure Jag would like X-Type to be a typical company car, but it isn't.

Interestingly HJ's roadtest said he settled into X-Type probably quicker than any other car.

The thing about road testing something like seats is that the ones you get may well be different - especially if you test leather and then don't specify it (or vice versa). It can also take weeks to find that position that's 'just right'. There's a proceedure for setting up car seats that makes them feel really odd at first, but apparently you're supposed to bear with it and it works best in the end.
Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - DrS
snipquote!
Well that's just ridiculous - as another poster has already mentioned Ford have (and have
had for quite a few years) a very organised scheme for extended test drives with
depots full of cars in several locations ready to deliver to your door.

Evidently the scheme is not as "very organised" as they would wish to believe!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/10/2007 at 18:12

Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - Malcolm_L
A somewhat dubious decision by the salesman, 8 potential sales or a reduced mark-up on a demonstrator - it's a no brainer to most of us, probably just a lame excuse.

As regards, the extended test drive issue, I recently changed car and after a good deal of research narrowed the choice down to either an S-Max or a C4 Grand Picasso.
I applied for a test drive on the Ford website and contacted Citroen and requested an extended test drive, CItroen contacted me directly within a week and having asked a few pertinent questions arranged for me to have a fully loaded C4 GP for a week.

The Picasso came and went and I still hadn't heard anything from Ford so I contacted my local dealer directly, a test drive was arranged and I arrived to find no S-Max (it had been sold) but they did have a Galaxy.

I'd done enough research to know that although very similar in some respects, the two cars have different dynamics and feel, I took the test drive anyway and was chaffeured out of the dealership to a layby nearby.
Having swapped over I got 4.4 miles of test drive in under 10 minutes.
For the record the Galaxy handled very well, the centre console didn't appeal being less practical than the C4's no centre console layout and the engine whilst willing wasn't as smooth as the C4, very aware of low speed vibration.

I then had a look round the car to check how easy it was to fold seats, etc. In doing this I found no less than 7 separate items of trim, some of which appeared to have come away and some which were obviously broken.
I mentioned this to the salesperson who didn't bat an eyelid, I then thanked him for helping me to make my decision - I'm now the very happy owner of a Citroen C4.
Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - boxsterboy
We've got a new guy starting with us in January. He decided on his car by 'internet test drive'. He wants a Mini Clubman D, which suits us as low depreciation should make it cheap to own, but I somewhat doubt we'll get one by Jan 1st!
Well, a little update - spoke to Ford Mobility and they said that test drives were down to the dealers, and if they couldn't (or didn't want to) provide a car then it was up to them. I am going to be getting in contact with Motability about this, as their own website says that a test drive should be more than once around the block.

It seems totally unfair that company car drivers get cars offered to them, but ordinary members of the public (or members of the largest fleet in the UK!) have to beg or do without, at the whim of a dealer.

Until they change this policy I can't get a Ford. I can't take the risk on being stuck with an unsuitable car for the next three years. It's a shame because I really like the Mondeo.
Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - commerdriver
Got to be down to motability to get themselves organised to some extent, the main reason company drivers can get a number of long test drives is because the garages and manufacturers want to keep leasing companies happy because of the numbers. Ours are through leaseplan which has a total fleet size of over 500000 vehicles.

Motability may not be that size but should still be big enough to get some cooperation from the manufacturers and dealers.
Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - ftrobbie
My experience over the last five years and have bought Volvo, Audi and Chevrolet.

Hyandai - Accompanied 15 mins
Chevy - 2 dealers 15mins and 30 mins accompanied
Audi - Business hours - unaccompanied
Ford - Business hours - unaccompanied
Volvo - Business hours - unaccompanied but also 30 mins accompanied
Seat - Business hours unaccompanied
Honda - 30 mins accompanied
Toyota - 30 mins accompanied
Renault - Accompanied but never got out as the salesperson was out on another test drive despite us having booked one.
Mitsibushi - Offered unaccompanied business hours drive but didn't take up the offer.

Interestingly the Chevy Captiva, I'm glad I didn't have a long test drive in it. The short drives were ok and no worse than the XC90. But when I took delivery off it and went on a 300 mile round trip to pick up the outlaws I hated the drive. Er indoors thought we have made a big mistake, however after 500 miles I have got used to it's product features and quite enjoy it.
Test drives - Availability of lengthy drives. - OldSock
I'd guess a lot depends on the sales person's mood, and his/her assessment of the punter's likely seriousness of buying - however unscientific and arbitrary this might be.

It might be a giveaway if someone arranged a 48-hour 'test drive' and turned up with the rest of the family - and suitcases!