1.25 si 1998. whining noise - carl24488
Hi, i hope you can help. i have a 98 ford fiesta and recently i have been getting a sort of winding down whining noise when i brake and go down through the gears... somebody has suggested this may be the gearbox and a lack of oil? would this explain why my oil light comes on under braking. i have just had an oil change last month.

thanks,,,
s
1.25 si 1998. whining noise - Screwloose
carl

You have checked the oil? A oil pressure light coming on is the prophet of doom.
Yeh it seems ok, like i said i had kwik fit change the oil as i had a free oil change (long story) and it only comes on when i am braking? does the sensor only check how much oil is in the engine or is it also the gearbox?
carl

That isn't a level light; it's an "Aarghh!! No oil pressure!! Bearings being destroyed!" light - and it's just for the engine. There's no similar light for the gearbox.

If Kwik-fit have been anywhere near it; take it to a competent garage for a proper check - fast! You could be doing £££'s of damage by driving it.
i only took it their as it was free... come to think of it i dont know any decent garages and as you can tell i dont have much of a clue about cars... so you think their is no oil pressure and the light coming on at times is a sign... what would be done to fix it?
1.25 si 1998. whining noise - carl233
Check to ensure that the oil is 5w30. I think it may have the wrong oil in there. Take it to a Ford Rapid Fit Centre and get an oil change done.
carl

"What would be done to fix it?"

If you keep driving it - fitting a new engine at around £1500.

And a gearbox too, if they've drained that and forgotten to refill it.

Do you know how to check the oil level in the engine? Exactly where on the dipstick is the level? Are there any drips of oil on the ground?
ive checked the oil and the level is just below the highest of the two indentations so its just below max. there is no oil leaks visible... do you think a garage would be that imcompetent to put the wrong oil grade into a fiesta? id have done it myslef but as i said i got it done free... is their anyway to check if its the wrong oil without changing it?

thanks for your help btw
carl

The wrong oil won't give you an oil pressure problem.

Have you checked the handbook to confirm that it is the oil pressure light that's coming on?

The low brake fluid light might be more susceptible to braking if the oil level is correct.

Do I think that Kwik-Fit could be incompetent...? That's a hard one....

[I'd get thrown off here If I told you all the trade tales about them and their little "earners..."]
it is definatley the oil pressure light, the little oil lamp/can. confirms in manual... lol kwik fit did take 3 hrs to do it because they apparently had no oil in stock! they had to order some through... but as you said it cannot cause an oil pressure problem...
carl

The oil pressure; the warning switch and it's wiring on the engine need checking urgently; they may have moved the pressure switch cable and it's hitting the driveshaft or something.
1.25 si 1998. whining noise - Number_Cruncher
>>Do I think that Kwik-Fit could be incompetent...?

I would give serious thought to the matter before entrusting a wheelbarrow to their care.

Number_Cruncher
1.25 si 1998. whining noise - madf
>>Do I think that Kwik-Fit could be incompetent...?

Lets put it like this.

Most garages when they change air filters , actually replace it on the engine. Kwikfit charged my wife for the change of an air filter and did not replace it... and lost it and the air filter housing!

She's never been there again...

madf
1.25 si 1998. whining noise - bathtub tom
You say you got a free oil change. Why?
What other work did they do to justify this as compensation, and could that be the problem?
I Work opposite them, they get a discount with us so they give us one... they did the work in return for something from us... my car has just died. my cousin was driving it to his garage to see what the problem was and it made a loud noise, this was followed by lots of blue smoke and his verdict is that i now need a new engine... said something about low pressure and the oil pump...
carl

I did try and warn you....