What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Engine Rattle. - Fullchat
I am running a 1.8CVH Ford Sapphire 115K. At start up, after standing all night, the engine seems to rattle until the oil light goes out.
I know it will be worn in the bearing depts., or am I missing something a bit more simple? Non OE oil filter fitted. Otherwise it runs fine.

Engine Rattle. - pete t
I think that old chestnut of "they all do that" applies here. The hydraulic tappets take a few moments to fill with oil after start up, so you get a bit of rattling from the top end. As soon as the oil circulates properly, the noise goes away. Irritating, but not the end of the world - unless the rattling doesn't disappear at all. My tappets quietened down with an oil change, some people seem to think certain additives help keep the noise down too.
Engine Rattle. - David Lacey
Andrew - My old man's (sorry Dad!) 160K Sierra 1.8 CVH rattles like bag of spanners at start up from cold in the garage.
I'd expect some tappet rattle aswell, but this noise is from the lower end of the engine, probably worn big end bearings which are rattling until the oil pressure builds up. This problem is made worse by the instant high idle speed that the Ford ECM jacks the engine up to immediately it fires, giving the poor old oil pump no chance to build up and pressure before the cranshaft gets spinning
Engine Rattle. - Fullchat
This may sound cheapskate but what are your thoughts about banging in some mains and big end shells without a grind. I really dont want to strip the engine right down as the car is just a fill in until I can sort my new one out.
Engine Rattle. - Richard Hall
I did this once on an old Triumph Herald, without even taking the engine out. It ran beautifully for about 500 miles, then the rattle came back. The problem is that if the shells are badly enough worn to rattle, they have probably worn down to the backing metal and scored the crank, so the new bearings will quickly get chewed up. How much longer are you planning to keep the car? It will get steadily worse, but I wouldn't expect it to blow up provided you keep the revs down. As long as there's enough oil pressure left to keep the hydraulic tappets pumped up, I'd just turn the radio up a bit.
Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
Engine Rattle. - Cliff Pope
I'd say try changing to a thicker oil. On an older engine or one with a high mileage I find the old Duckhams 20/50 much better.
Engine Rattle. - BrianW
Should the OE oil filter have a non-return valve and the pattern one does not, so you are getting drain-down when standing?