What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2.5 V6TDI - Any information anyone ? - Tony Bee
I've just driven behind one, till it shot away like manure off a spade.

Can't find it on the VW website. Any info please. I have not been living in a cave.(I think)
s
2.5 V6TDI - Any information anyone ? - Hamsafar
Old shape? I don't think they did/do the current shape with this engine config.
I have the old shape, it is OK, but uses lots of diesel.
2.5 V6TDI - Any information anyone ? - Pugugly {P}
Plenty of stuff on google - including a link to a site not to be mentioned on there.
2.5 V6TDI - Any information anyone ? - Avant
No, VW don't do the new Passat with that engine - I don't think it ever sold well, mainly as (although most Audis are a lot more expensive that the equivalent VW) it cost as uch as an A4 Avant.

But it's a lovely engine and I had it in my A4. Lots of shove yet 36 mpg in town, 44 mpg on long runs. And it's much quieter than 4-cylinder VAG diesels.

If you're interested. maybe look for that engine in an A4 or A6, or the Skoda Superb.
2.5 V6TDI - Any information anyone ? - Screwloose

Absolute nightmare of an engine - good riddance!
Well tell us what was wrong with it! I had 33,000 trouble-free miles from mine.
2.5 V6TDI - Any information anyone ? - 659FBE
It was fitted to the "old" B5.5 Passat and until fairly recently, to the Skoda Superb.

I test drove one of these - it's an old tech diesel with a VE rotary pump electronically controlled. It went well enough and sounded good, but the fuel consumption falls well short of more modern designs, particularly the PD engine which I eventually bought.

It's a pity, because it would have been a beautiful towcar (the PD is very good) but the design is too old. The timing drive and water pump are a nightmare to service - best avoided. If you want a fast VAG diesel, a tweaked PD 130 is probably the best bet - you can have more power for your VED group by doing this and avoid the Euro Cat IV maintenance trap. (Sorry, particulate filter).

Avant

Where do I start? Universally hated by every VAG tech that I've ever talked to.

Heads; cams wearing and seizing; injector pump fails; timing slips; oil leaks - loads of oil leaks; oil pump pick-ups; pistons; water pumps...

You name it - it does it - and it's always a right pig to get at absolutely anything.
2.5 V6TDI - Any information anyone ? - ForumNeedsModerating
Universally hated by every VAG tech that I've ever talked to.... Heads; cams wearing and seizing; injector pump fails; timing slips; oil leaks - .. etc. etc.

Amazing that a German multi-billion pound company could ever design such a thing! And to heap incredulity upon amazement - they produced the ill-conceived monstrosity for nearly 12 years!!! (longer if you include Skoda) It was so bad., they even put it in some top-end Audi A4/6's, Offroads etc - tch tch tch - To confound logic still further - they're still in business!!
2.5 V6TDI - Any information anyone ? - NARU
It was so bad. they even put it in some top-end Audi A4/6's Offroads etc ...

And the first thing most reviews say is... avoid the 2.5 - it may be the cheapest entry level diesel but the 3.0 is far better
2.5 V6TDI - Any information anyone ? - local yokel
Excuse my ignorance - but I assume that this is the lump used in the 100/A6 - I quite fancied one - should I be put off?
2.5 V6TDI - Any information anyone ? - adverse camber
the 100 had the straight 5 2.4tdi also used in the volvo and the vw transporter. The v6 came in later in the a6 range.

The various Audi forums are full of people having expensive problems with the 2.5v6tdi
woodbines

Every manufacturer has the occasional disaster engine. VAG just seem to have cornered the market at it.

If any of their engines show the slightest promise of reliability, they enthusiastically ruin them and adopt the most dubious componentry available to ensure that they stay that way.

The company has a death-wish. There's no other possible explanation.
2.5 V6TDI - Any information anyone ? - ForumNeedsModerating
The company has a death-wish. There's no other possible explanation.

Now that I'm quite willing to believe!
2.5 V6TDI - Any information anyone ? - oldtoffee
My local VW independent hates the V6 TDI engine, rating it the worst he has ever worked on and the 4cylinder PD one of the best in terms of reliability. Put me right off buying one and glad he did seeing this lot! Ask him where he makes his money and the V6 climbs up the scale dramatically alongside the Tiptronic auto boxes.
2.5 V6TDI - Any information anyone ? - 659FBE
Hmm. His observations bear an uncanny similarity to my own.

I think the PD is an engine which I'll be pleased to have owned - it's a slightly odball solution of unequalled efficiency with a lunatic camshaft drive. The stresses in the cams, roller followers and the very narrow valve actuation cams are mind blowing - hence the necessity for special oil.

Funny about the comment made concerning the VAG self-destruct death wish. I think they've done this with the later 2 litre PDs. Bosch may be having a quet smirk over the reliability of the Seimens piezo injectors. There are a few mechanical wobblies here too.

2.5 V6TDI - Any information anyone ? - mikeh
Interested in the comments as I've been thinking of looking at an Audi A6 2.7 V6 TDI (current model). Is this engine a development of the 2.5 V6 TDI or a different design all together? If it's a development does it suffer from the same problems?
Regards
Mike
I've always assumed it's a development of the 2.5. If you're buying new or newish it should be fine, as my 2.5 was.

Clearly it's better to drive than to work on, so from what people say above it's not one to keep long-term.
2.5 V6TDI - Any information anyone ? - Hamsafar
img440.imageshack.us/img440/2236/01by1.jpg
www.audi-tourisme.com/moteur_V6_tdi.jpg

^ The two engines.
Even the later 2.5 TDi engines didn't have the problems with leaks and cam wear, but it is a pretty unremarkable engine with no redeeming features compared to say BMW 6 cyl diesel.
2.5 V6TDI - Any information anyone ? - craig-pd130
A good friend had an A6 2.5 TDI, it lunched the injector pump and some injectors as a result. Not cheap :-(